Chapter Four

ShadowClan camp was covered with snow. It was more open than ThunderClan. Waterlily couldn't imagine living in such open spaces. She enjoyed the shelter that the trees gave them. Cinderfur trekked deeper into the camp. Waterlily felt all eyes were on her. Littlecloud made sure to stay his distance which was only a tail-length away from Waterlily's side.

Nightstar padded out of his den and narrowed his eyes when he saw the ThunderClan cats in his camp. "What is it you want?" He growled.

"I don't want to any fights. I just need to speak with Runningnose." Mewed Waterlily. Her tail was still held high in hopes they didn't detect her fear.

Runningnose heard his name and padded out from the medicine den. His nose was crusty as always and his eyes had a bit of crust on them too like he hasn't slept in days. Waterlily suspected that Nightstar may not have been telling the truth about no illnesses in the Clan. "What's up?" Meowed Runningnose, with a bit of a sniffle in his voice.

Waterlily padded closer to him, but stayed a few tail-lengths away in case there was any sickness here in ShadowClan. "I was wondering if you had catmint to spare?"

Runningnose hesitated to answer, then nodded his head. "Yes, I can give you some. I don't have a lot, but I do have enough to spare a few stalks." He sniffled again.

"Thank you." Waterlily purred as she followed Runningnose into his den. Runningwind followed them both in silence. His tail was dragging across the grass. He felt very uncomfortable being here so far in ShadowClan camp. The stench alone could drive any animal out.

Runningnose padded into the medicine den and grabbed a rather large clump of catmint and gave half the pile to Waterlily and the other half to Runningwind. Waterlily dipped her head in thanks, then trekked out into the clearing. She was glad to be finally leaving. The scent of the catmint's flowers made her eyes water.

"I will send a warrior to escort you outside of our borders." Meowed Nightstar.

Waterlily shook her head, "No need. I know my way out." She muffled through the catmint in her jaws.

Nightstar narrowed his eyes, but he didn't pressure for an escort. Waterlily was glad. She wanted to get out of there quickly. The smell of the ShadowClan camp was getting to be too much for her.

She trekked through the clearing and out the camp entrance. As they neared the sandy grasslands that led to the thunderpath, the stench of ShadowClan faded. The fowl fumes of the thunderpath then filled her nostrils. She wrinkled her nose, but trekked on. The two cats stopped at the edge of the thunderpath. Runningwind took a deep breath then raced across. Waterlily followed close behind and they both made it, not a monster in sight. They must have all been sleeping in their nests.

Finally their paws reached grassy and marsh lands. They plunged through the forest, happy to be back home. They padded back into camp. Runningwind followed Waterlily to the medicine den and dropped them just before entering the herb supply store. Waterlily dipped her thanks then turned to Yellowfang.

"Not much, but this will help ease the majority of our Clan." She mewed, quietly so only Yellowfang could hear.

Yellowfang's eyes saddened as she saw the two piles of catmint. Waterlily was right. It was enough for their Clan to have, but not enough to last all leaf-bare. Yellowfang took some in her mouth and padded out of the medicine den. "I'm giving some to Brindleface so her kits don't catch anything from the air."

Waterlily flicked her tail in response, then padded over to Brightpaw. Her whitecough was getting worse and Waterlily was sure that she had greencough now. She could feel her body pulsing from the heat. Brightpaw had a fever.

"Eat some. Just some." Waterlily leaned down and whispered in her ear. Brightpaw, barely able to lift up her chin, made a pitiful mew and coughed. "It'll help." Waterlily pressed. Yellowfang padded back into the den and began stocking the left over catmint in storage.

Brightpaw gathered enough strength to lap up the two crumpled leaves and stems of the catmint. Waterlily purred, glad that she took some. Brightpaw was just beginning her warrior training, she can't leave for StarClan yet!

"Rogue! Traitor!" a voice cried out. It came from a kit. Waterlily raced outside of the den, her eyes wide with fear. Were they being attacked?

"Touch that kit, traitor, and I'll flay your skin in strips!" Waterlily recognized Darkstripe's deep voice.

She peered over by the elders' den and pricked her ears. She saw Fireheart leap toward a kit and grab it.

Fireheart dropped him roughly into the snow and let out a low growl through bared teeth. "Go home!" he ordered the other kits. "Go home to your mother. Now!"

Waterlily had never seen Fireheart so angry. She padded back into the den, acting as if nothing had happened. Yellowfang looked up at her. "What happened?" She rasped, clearly amused to the reaction Waterlily came back in with.

"Fireheart was mad at Cloudkit. I'm not quite sure why. I saw a glimpse of Brokentail. But Fireheart was furious. I've never seen so mad before." Her eyes widened again, as if she saw it all happen again.

Yellowfang flicked her tail, still amused. A muffled pur rumbled in her throat.

Waterlily rolled her eyes in annoyance, then check on the other cats in the den. Everyone was cared for, and luckily they all sounded better than they did this sunrise. She padded to her nest and curled up to sleep. Instantly she started dreaming. She jolted in her sleep, but kept on dreaming. Two small kits laid nestled close in the belly of their mother. Waterlily crouched down and admired them. She touched one of their flanks with her cheeks and brushed her whiskers against the other. Waterlily took a step back to look at the mother who tucked them closer to her. The blue-gray she-cat had no face.

Waterlily started trembling from fear. She shook her head then closed her eyes for a moment. She opened them again and saw the she-cat fading. The face was still not visible, but she felt like she needed to save her. Suddenly an orange-flamed tom raced in to pick up the kits. Waterlily recognized him at once. It was Fireheart! What was Fireheart doing in her dream and why was he saving these kits?