Chapter Twenty Four

The camp was almost left empty. Only a few warriors were left in camp. It seemed almost too quiet for Waterlily's liking. She began pacing the floors of the medicine den and Yellowfang hissed in annoyance. "Make yourself useful Waterlily and go get some chervil. We used the last to help with Silverstream's kits."

Waterlily stopped pacing and dipped her head quickly to her mentor, then bounded out into the clearing. She headed for the gorse tunnel and was about to squeeze through when she saw Tigerclaw running toward her. She quickly got out of the way and stared, horrified as rogues raced after him.

"ThunderClan is under attack!" Tigerclaw yowled. 

Fireheart was not too far behind with Cloudpaw on his heels. 

Waterlily raced after them and leaped onto one of the rogue cats. He was a large, silver tabby tom and she raked her claws on his flank, making him roll over onto her. She shook off the debri from her fur and she growled, narrowing her eyes. The tom leaped at her, but she was too fast for him and she raced around him, then pulled his tail. He almost lost his balance, but whirled around and slashed a forepaw against her face. Waterlily let out a shriek and she hissed, furiously.

"You will not win, medicine cat." The silver tom growled. 

Waterlily didn't know how he knew she was a medicine cat, but there was no time for chatting. She curled her lip into a snarl and leaped onto him again. He dodged to the side. She landed awkwardly with a big oof, then whirled around before he could grab her tail. She raked her claws against his cheek, then pinned him down. She dug her claws into his flank and he went limp for just a few moments. Waterlily let the tom go thinking he was done for, but he turned on her and pinned her down. He raked her belly and she screeched in horror. This tom was too strong for her to try and kick off. 

Fireheart raced toward her and leaped onto the tom. He knocked him over that sent him flying just a few tail-lengths away. It was enough for Waterlily to leap to her paws. He pelted back towards the ThunderClan cats, but Fireheart was too quick. He rolled over like a snake so quickly and let the rogue tom topple over him as he raked his hind claws against his soft belly. The rogue went flying across the clearing and he was left laying there for a few heartbeats before scrambling to his paws. His shoulders and flank were gouged and blood poured out from both wounds. He dared not to come back and fight Fireheart. 

"Thank you." Meowed Waterlily, panting. "I'm not used to fighting."

"It's alright." He purred, rubbing her cheek. "You did well." He dipped his head then bounded towards the others that were still fighting. Patrols had come back and drove the rogues out. Then she saw him pelt towards Bluestar's den. She pricked her ears and raced towards the medicine den. Yellowfang was treating Whitestorm with a big gash on his shoulder. 

"Waterlily," She mewed, not looking up from applying the poultice. She then looked up once she finished and saw Waterlily troubled. "What is it?" 

"It's Tigerclaw." She meowed, trying to catch her breath. "I believe he's the one who did this."

Yellowfang tilted her head. "Nonsense." She rasped, "Now get going on treating any cats that need it." 

Waterlily flattened her ears then padded away back outside of the medicine den. "Wait." Yellowfang yelled behind her. "Let me fix up your scratches before you go." Waterlily let her patch her scratches in silence then pricked her ears, impatiently. Something was wrong. She could feel it.

Warriors outside the den were still fighting furiously and many of the ThunderClan cats were wounded badly. Waterlily went around treating them as best as she could. Luckily no one was bleeding too bad. Waterlily felt exhausted and wanted to just collapse on the forest grounds and sleep until the battle was over. Her feet were burning as she ran around camp treating any wounds and hoping they were well enough to go back fighting. They were losing terribly. 

Just when Waterlily thought she couldn't do anymore, she saw flashes of cats fleeing toward them. They were RiverClan cats. She leaped to her paws and watched in dismay. Were they here to help? The RiverClan warriors fled into fight the rogues. They were not battle-scarred and were full of energy. 

The fight was finally over. The rogues fled out of camp. All who was left was Brokentail and Tigerclaw. Both were bleeding from head to toe. Waterlily stood in astonishment what all had just happened. She looked over at Bluestar. She seemed shook, but she stabled herself enough to speak with the RiverClan warriors. Does she finally believe Fireheart and Waterlily of all the treacheries of Tigerclaw?

"How did you know we needed help?" Meowed Fireheart, taking a step forward.

"We didn't." Mewed Mistyfoot. "We came to speak with Bluestar about..." "

"Not now," Leopardfur interrupted. "ThunderClan needs time to recover." She dipped her head graciously toward Fireheart. "We are glad to have helped. We will return soon."

"Thank you." Bluestar dipped her head in response then turned to Fireheart. "Thank you, Fireheart. I owe all my thanks to you." She leaped up into the highrock. Her haunches were shaking uncontrollably, but she stood straight and spoke to the Clan slowly. "I present to you, Tigerclaw, now our prisoner..."

"Isn't he your deputy?" It was Longtail who questioned her. 

"I will tell you." She hissed, glaring at the battle-scarred tom. Then she continued, "Tigerclaw was going to attack me in my den. If it wasn't for Fireheart, he may have succeeded in killing me."

Waterlily tensed. She was right. It was Tigerclaw and Brokentail that had planned this. Now that Bluestar knew about the old deputy and what he was capable of. Waterlily wondered what would happen next. Bluestar kept speaking to the Clan, but Waterlily searched her clanmates. Bluestar had to choose a new deputy my moonhigh. Waterlily didn't know could be trustworthy now in their clan, but she did know that Whitestorm was probably the best choice. He was an honorable warrior and knew the Clan very well.  

"Tigerclaw," Waterlily heard Bluestar's mew pierce through her thoughts. "No more of this. Go now." 

Tigerclaw drew himself up to his full height, his eyes blazing in cold fury. "I'm going. But I'll be back; you can be sure of that. I'll be revenged on you all!" He padded unevenly away from the Highrock. As he drew close to Fireheart then paused, drawing his lips back in a snarl. "And as for you..." He hissed. "Keep your eyes open, Fireheart. Keep your ears pricked. Keep looking behind you. Because one day I'll find you, and then you'll be crowfood."

Waterlily saw the fury in Fireheart's eyes. She stood her ground, ready to defend her old friend, but Tigerclaw then padded away before Fireheart could respond. 

Tigerclaw raced through the crowd of cats and they let him pass in silence, then they all turned back to their leader, wondering what they were to do now. 

And then the words Waterlily knew everyone was questioning came out from one of the warriors behind her. "Who will be deputy now?"