Chapter Five

Waterlily awoke from her slumber and looked around. Yellowfang was gone. Her nest was empty. She got up, leaned down at Yellowfang's nest and took a little whif. She has been gone for several hours. She padded to the edge of the den entrance. The air smelled cold and damp. She closed her eyes and tried to gather the scent of where Yellowfang may be. Just a faint smell began to peak on the tip of her nose.

Yellowfang trekked into camp. Fireheart, Brackenpaw, and Cinderpaw just behind her. Then Brokentail padded up behind them. Waterlily's eyes widened. What was Brokentail doing outside of the elders' den? Waterlily shook her head, thinking that maybe she was imagining it. But she wasn't. Brokentail still trekked behind the four cats. He veered into the elders' den. Yellowfang lead the patrol back to the medicine den. Cinderpaw flicked her tail goodnight then padded off to her nest in the apprentices' den.

Waterlily gasped at the sight of Brackenpaw. Yellowfang brushed past Waterlily. "Badger bite." She rasped, then padded on to the back of the herb store. She grabbed some poultices then smeared some onto his gash on the side of his leg.

Fireheart began telling Yellowfang what had happened while she continued. Waterlily just sat and listened.

"And now he has the bite on his muzzle and leg." Fireheart finished.

Yellowfang looked up, then purred, rasping a bit. "Glad I came when I did then." She looked at Fireheart, then back at Brackenpaw. "You'd better rest here tonight," the old gray she-cat told the apprentice. "But I'm pretty sure your leg will be good as new in a day or two." She spoke cheerfully, without any bitterness that her own leg would never recover so well. Turning to Fireheart, she added, "He'll be fine."

Fireheart dipped his head in thanks, then looked at Cinderpaw. He flicked his tail and they were both out of the medicine den. "Let's move you over here, away from the sick cats." Mewed Waterlily. She nudged Brackenpaw. He stumbled to his paws then padded to the rounded corner of the medicine den. "I'll get you some fresh moss." She added then padded to the other side, grabbing the wet moss they had hanging near the feverfew.

Waterlily quickly made his nest then touched her tail down on his flank. "Get some rest." She mewed, then padded around to make sure the others weren't too disturbed by all the comotion. They were still sleeping, with muffles and snores in their breathing. Waterlily softly sighed at the quietness. It wasn't really quiet, but she enjoyed the sounds of cats getting better. 

***

The bright morning was coming to an end. Clouds were massing to cover the face of the sun, and the gentle breeze had strengthened until a stiff wind blew across the clearing, flattening the fur of the cats who crouched around the Highrock.

"Cats of ThunderClan." Bluestar began. Her tail was raised as she spoke on the highrock. "Our camp might be in danger. The snow is melting early and making the river rise. Part of our territory is already flooded."

A chorus of dismay rose from the Clan, but Bluestar raised her voice above the yowls. "Fireheart, tell the Clan what you have seen."

Fireheart stood up and described how the river had overflowed near the Sunningrocks.

"It doesn't sound that dangerous to us," meowed Darkstripe when he had finished. "We have plenty of territory left for prey. Let RiverClan worry about the floods."

A murmur of approval broke out. Tigerclaw stayed silent. He sat at the base of the Highrock, motionless except for the twitching of his tail tip.

"Silence!" spat Bluestar. "The water could spread here before we know it. Something like this is bigger than Clan rivalry. I don't want to hear that any RiverClan cats have died from these floods."

Patchpelt spoke up from among the elders. "I remember the last time the river overflowed, many moons ago. Cats from all Clans drowned. Prey drowned, too, and we went hungry even though our paws stayed dry. This is not just RiverClan's problem."

"I remember those days too" Meowed Bluestar, "and I hoped I would never have to see such times again. But since it has happened, these are my orders: No cat is to go out alone. Kits and apprentices must not leave the camp without at least one warrior. Patrols will go out to discover how far the floods reach—Tigerclaw, see to it."

"Yes, Bluestar," meowed the deputy. "I'll send out hunting patrols too. We must build up a stock of prey before the water rises any farther."

"Good idea," agreed Bluestar. She raised her voice again to address the whole Clan. "The meeting is over. Go to your duties." She leaped down lightly from the Highrock and padded across to talk with Patchpelt and the other elders. 

Waterlily blinked her eyes. Why hasn't StarClan spoken to either of us? She thought to herself. She looked over at Yellowfang. They shared the same gaze and Waterlily knew that Yellowfang was thinking the same thing. 

Cloudkit bounded across the camp, and stopped in front of the nursery. He lifted his muzzle, then sniffed the air. He smelled Fireheart and Graystripe padding out of their den. "Hi!" He mewed excitedly. 

Waterlily padded out into the clearing and heard Fireheart, Graystripe and Cloudkit talking just as she was about to go the nursery. She pricked her ears and began listening to their words as they softly spoke in whispers, hoping the Clan doesn't hear them.

"Why does he always come at the most awkward moments?" Spat Graystripe in a hushed tone.

"I don't know." Hissed Fireheart. He turned to the kit and slashed his tail angrily. "What are you doing outside the nursery so late?"

Cloudkit laid his ears back and sat down miserably, making a small thud noise as he did so. "I just want to go with you." He mewed. "I'm almost an apprentice!" He added.

"Almost isn't good enough." Hissed Graystripe. 

Fireheart turned to look at his friend, then back at the kit, "He's right. Only apprentices can go out of camp with warriors." His voice softened, but he was still stern.

Cloudkit looked down at his paws angrily, and lashed his tiny tail on the ground a few times.

Fireheart and Graystripe looked at one another, then bounded out of the camp entrance and up the ravine. Cloudkit looked back up and heard them murmur, "Do you think he'll tell the Clan that we're sneaking out of camp?" Whispered Graystripe. Cloudkit narrowed his eyes and was about to follow them in secret when Waterlily padded up to him and stopped him from going any further. 

"It's not fair!" He squealed. 

"I know." Mewed Waterlily. She could feel his pain. He was also a kittypet. She didn't know whether he knew it or not, but it was something they will always share in common. She looked up at the distance and guessed that Fireheart and Graystripe went to check on their RiverClan friend, Silverstream. She blinked her eyes slowly as she looked back down at the white and fluffy kit. She softened her eyes and put her tail lightly on the kit's back. "We're more alike than you know."