Chapter Fifteen

Waterlily felt every bone in her body quiver with pain. She didn't think medicine cats could feel this way, but she did. Yellowfang was a very good fighter, and made Waterlily think that she may never be able to be in a real battle. Runningwind really took it easy on her when she trained with him. She heaved onto her paws from her nest and took a few steps towards the herb supplies and picked up a daisy leaf. She chewed it into a paste, then swallowed. It was quite bitter. She scrunched up her muzzle and shook her head a little bit before being able to get the awful taste out of her mind. 

Yellowfang padded into the den, her head held high. "Still sore from the battle training?" She purred, amusingly. 

Waterlily didn't respond. She just flicked her tail from annoyance, then went back to her nest to rest some more. Yellowfang gently traced Waterlily's back with her tail, like a mother would do for her kit. "Once you've gotten your rest, make sure to get something to eat." Ordered Yellowfang. 

***

Waterlily stretched out her front paws, then her back paws. She opened her jaws wide in a yawn, then shook out her pelt as the midday sun crept through the den entrance. She padded out of the den and towards the fresh-kill pile. It was low, but better than nothing. She chose a large vole for herself. She was about to choose a mouse for Yellowfang when she padded up behind her.

"I already had something." She rasped, as she approached Waterlily. "Once you're done with that, I think checking the catmint supply we have growing. I know it's leaf-bare, but maybe we have at least some more leaves we can carry back." 

"Let's hope." Waterlily mewed, settling down a few tail-lengths away from the fresh-kill pile. She put the vole between her paws, then took a big bite of it and swallowing it almost instantly. 

Yellowfang swiped a paw over her face, then she licked her paw and swiped it over her face once more. 

"Yellowfang!" Yowled a voice. 

Yellowfang shot up to her paws and looked around frantically. She couldn't see anyone around her, calling for her. Then Fireheart ran toward her. "Yellowfang," He mewed, "It's Cinderpaw." His eyes were wide with fear. 

Waterlily swallowed the last morsel of her vole, then raced after Yellowfang and Fireheart. She could feel the fear in Fireheart like a mouse trapped in a corner with cats all around. Cinderpaw can't be hurt again! She just can't!

Fireheart led them to the sandy hollow and stopped just beside a big bush with dark red berries scattered around. Cinderpaw laid on the ground, her mouth foaming and she struggled to breathe. Yellowfang stood aside and let Waterlily make her through. Waterlily looked up at Yellowfang with fear in her eyes. "What do I do?" She meowed, her voice almost cracking. 

"We need a special kind of moss." Yellowfang almost couldn't say the words out loud. It was in a whisper that only Waterlily could hear. "A moss that does not grow in this part of the forest." 

Waterlily widened her eyes. She took her gaze to Fireheart and her eyes pleaded. "Take her to the medicine den as fast as you can. I believe we have the right moss there." Then she looked at Yellowfang. "Do you know where to find some?" She added, urgently. 

Yellowfang nodded her head, "We don't have time to look for some. We do have just a bit of it in the back of the store. Should be just enough for Cinderpaw." 

Waterlily and Yellowfang raced after Fireheart as he carried Cinderpaw in his jaws. Her body almost going limp from the struggle to breathe. "Just keep holding on, Cinderpaw!" Waterlily called out. She quickly raced past Fireheart, grabbed the moss, then tried to shove some of it down Cinderpaw's throat. For a long moment, Cinderpaw laid motionless. Waterlily stood over her limp body. She glanced up at Yellowfang, her eyes filled with sorrow. Yellowfang exchanged the same glance and the both stood in silence.

"Is she..." Fireheart couldn't bring himself to finish his thought. 

Just as Waterlily was going to reply, she heard a retching sound coming from Cinderpaw. She gasped then looked down at her and watched her in dismay. Cinderpaw retched again, then she panted, heavily. "She's going to be alright." Waterlily looked back up at Fireheart and purred. 

Waterlily saw Fireheart sigh with relief. Then he sat down in silence, not taking his eyes off her.  "Get some rest, Fireheart." Yellowfang meowed.

"Cinderpaw will be fine within the next sunhigh. I promise you." Waterlily added behind Yellowfang. 

Fireheart dipped his head, "Thank you. I owe it to the both of you." He looked both medicine she-cats in the eyes for a few moments before padding out of the den and towards the warriors' den. 

Waterlily turned to Yellowfang, fear blazing in her eyes. "Will she really be okay?" She whispered in Yellowfang's ears.

Yellowfang slowly turned to face her and flicked her tail impatiently. "Of course. Why wouldn't she be?" She saw the fear in Waterlily's eyes then widened her own. Did Waterlily know something?

"She has had lots of trauma, Yellowfang. Will she be a warrior in time with her brother?"

Yellowfang kept her gaze for a long moment before answering. "She must know how far behind she's in her training. It is not her fault, but it is something Bluestar cannot change. When Fireheart believes that she is ready, she will become a full warrior." 

Waterlily looked away from Yellowfang's gaze, and looked down at her paws in sadness. If Cinderpaw was to get in anymore trauma, she would have to be confined to camp for many moons or move to the elders' den. Waterlily shook her head as if to clear it. No, she will get better and she will become a full warrior.

Yellowfang put her tail over Waterlily's shoulder. "I know you're worried for her. But you needn't have to be. Cinderpaw is strong because of you."