*Ten*

Tre laid me on the bed, cocooned in the sheet and lying on my side. He grabbed a new pair of gym shorts from the drawer and slipped them on before stretching out behind me. I sniffed and wiped my eyes with the soft cotton, feeling like an idiot. I wished I could crawl into a hole and disappear.

"I'm sorry." My voice squeaked. "I ruined everything."

Tre scoffed and shifted up onto his elbow to peer down at me. I focused on the pillow, embarrassed, and avoiding what was sure to be an annoyed gaze. My heated skin might never return to its normal color around him again.

Not that it would matter. He'd never want to keep seeing me after the way I freaked out. He was just too nice to send me away while crying.

Things were going too well. I should've known I'd mess it up. This was exactly what Jason predicted. This was why I was supposed to count myself lucky he loved me. Jason accepted my flaws, and then I had the audacity to dump him. What man wants a chubby waitress from a trashy family, who doesn't even want sex?

Jason told me I'd end up alone, but that was fine. I never wanted another relationship, anyway. Being guilted or pushed into uncomfortable sex because it's my job as girlfriend was not my idea of a happy life. But that was all before Tre.

I didn't know things could be so much better. I shouldn't have agreed to a date. Ignorance wasn't bliss, but it was a hell of a lot easier.

Tre tucked my hair behind my ear. "Gemma, I don't know what to say."

My stomach soured. This was it. Nothing left but an extremely awkward goodbye. But then he pressed a soft kiss to my sheet covered shoulder and wrapped his arm over me.

"I'm not amazing at everything. It took years to get the studio going. And there's nothing wrong with being a waitress. It's a necessary job that you're good at. I'm sure I'm not the only customer that frequents that diner because of you."

Confusion swamped my brain, as he kissed my temple, then cupped my cheek, making me face him. Tre's sweet look of concern surprised me—there was something almost loving about it.

I relaxed a bit, and my overheated skin began to cool. I scooted a little until I lay on my back, staring up at him, and he pulled my body flush with his.

"And if you think there's anything about you I don't find appealing, then I haven't been clear. You don't need to try to be sexy, you just are, always. At work with your hair up and your apron tied at your waist, showing off your ass and hips."

He made a sound in his throat as his palm slid to my hip and squeezed. "It was hard only being friends when all I could do was picture how well you'd fit in my hands. Every time I'd ask you out, you'd blow me off, then I had to watch this ass sway as you pranced through the diner. It was awful."

I giggled and yanked the sheet up to my eyes, covering my blush. "I don't prance, and I didn't know you were serious."

Tre shook his head. "I might joke and play, but I've always been serious about you."

He moved the sheet down to my neck and slow kisses rained over my eyelids, nose, forehead, everywhere except my mouth, but it was so intimate. He made me feel as though I were precious to him. My chest warmed and butterflies took up residence in my tummy.

"When you finally agreed to dinner, I was thrilled. Then I picked you up in that blue dress and you were so stunning it didn't seem real." He brushed his lips over my collarbone in the lightest caress and I shivered at the touch.

"You're funny and smart. I had a great time with you, even before we went to my car." He grinned and slid his lower lip between his teeth. "And after last night, I feel like I've won the fucking lottery, getting a chance to be with you."