chapter one

the dance
🎶 cardigan (long pond) - taylor swift

Sydney Mccall was the total and complete opposite of her brother

Sydney Mccall was the total and complete opposite of her brother. Scott was an asthmatic who was the #1 bench warmer of the Beacon Hills lacrosse team, while Sydney was a star on the Cross Country team. Scott was mediocre at best when it came to academics, Sydney was a straight A student. Scott cared for others over himself, Sydney's fatal flaw was her selfishness. Neither of the two realized that to the other, they were everything they wanted to be.

Stiles Stilinski was a thorn in Sydney's side. He knew she had a boyfriend, but that never stopped him. He still wanted her, and he wasn't very subtle about it.

Recently, however, Stiles found some luck. Sydney wouldn't call it that.

Over the summer, Sydney had started dating Brady. He was perfect, everything Sydney wanted. Brady was the kind of guy everyone liked, everyone wanted to be him or be with him. So when Brady and Sydney kissed one night, Sydney felt important. Like if someone like him thought she was worthwhile, it must be true.

Well it was bullshit.

Brady had Sydney wrapped around his finger for months, until he decided to end things at the dance.

Stiles had stumbled across the scene, staying hidden and watching from afar as he saw just how much of an asshole Brady was. He always thought Brady was this perfect guy, that he could never compete with him. That night he realized he had one thing Brady didn't, he actually cared about Sydney.

Standing there, watching Brady ruin her night, he knew there was never a time Brady cared about Syd. Ever. If he really did, we wouldn't be able to walk away like that.

He knew there was a slim chance any girl would ever want him, let alone Sydney Mccall; but if he ever was so lucky, he wouldn't leave her crying on the stairs.

He waited awhile before approaching her. He played it off, like he was just trying to get something from his Jeep when he turned to look at her. "Sydney?"

She looked up, quickly wiping the tears from her face and standing up. "Hey Stiles." She said, her voice raspy.

"What's wrong?" He asked, walking towards her.

"Nothing." She shook her head. "I'm fine, go back inside I'm sure Lydia is waiting for you."

"Lydia, no she went after Jackson." He explained. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, it's just Brady." She sighed.

"What did he do?" He questioned.

"It's done, Stiles." She cried.

He frowned. "I'm sorry, Syd."

She shook her head. "Don't act like you're not jumping for joy right now."