chapter five

sydney on ice
🎶 gorgeous - taylor swift

Sydney was in gym class, laughing as she watched Allison trip Scott off of the rock climbing wall

Sydney was in gym class, laughing as she watched Allison trip Scott off of the rock climbing wall. An embarrassed Scott got up and gave Sydney an annoyed look, signaling that her laughing was a little much. "Sorry." She mumbled, stifling another laugh.

"All right, Stilinski, Erica, you're up next." Coach instructed.

Sydney frowned as she watched Erica struggle up the wall. She knew the girl struggled with seizures, and that she probably couldn't help her physical incapabilities. It was just harsh of Coach to make her climb in front of everyone.

When Stiles dropped down before Erica had even made it half way, and began to raise his hands triumphantly, Sydney gave him a stern face that made him immediately drop them.

That's when Erica began to whimper. "Erica! Are you dizzy? Is it vertigo?" Coach asked.

"That's not what vertigo is, Coach." Sydney shook her head.

"She's right. Vertigo is a dysfunction of the inner ear, she's just freaking out." Lydia added.

"Erica!" Coach yelled up.

"I'm fine." She replied.

"Coach, maybe it's not safe. You know she's epileptic." Allison warned.

"Why does nobody tell me this stuff?" He fussed. "Erica you're fine, just, just kick off from the wall. There's a mat to catch you. Come on." She dropped down onto the mat. "See, it's fine. Shake it off. You're fine."

She walked through the crowd of laughing students, and Sydney felt really bad to be standing amongst them.

Sydney was coming out of the locker room, and something caught her eye. It was Erica, on the climbing wall.

Her heart beat fastened as she watched Erica's hands slip. However, just as thought Erica would fall, Scott ran up and caught her. Everyone ran to her side, kneeling beside her.

"Get her on her side!" Sydney instructed, helping Scott turn her over.

"How'd you know?" Allison asked.

"I just felt it." Scott answered.

-

Sydney wasn't sitting at her usual table for lunch, mainly because Brady was there and she was uncomfortable. She couldn't find Lydia anywhere, so she found herself sitting with Scott. They were talking about how, hopefully, after school they would go to the ice rink with Stiles, Lydia, and Allison. It was all part of Scott's elaborate secret romance scheme.

Stiles came over, dangling the keys he had got from Boyd. "Got 'em." He grinned.

Heads in the cafeteria turned as a blonde entered, seemingly someone they had never seen before.

Lydia came over, slamming her hands onto the table. "What the holy hell is that?"

"It's Erica." Scott replied.

They watched as Erica stepped outside, and Stiles, Scott, and Sydney ran out after her. They watched as she stepped into Derek's car, both of them smiling as they drove away.

"Well that's not good." Sydney frowned.

-

Stiles unlocked the doors to the ice-skating rink, and the five teens stepped inside.

He watched carefully as Sydney walked through the doors. Stopping in front of him, Scott scoffed. "Could you not?"

Stiles made a confused face. "What are you taking about?"

"Could you not stare at my sister's ass, Stiles?" Scott sassed.

"I wasn't!" Stiles fussed, walking into the building.

Sydney and Lydia were sitting down putting on their skates when Sydney huffed. "Why is it so cold in here?"

Stiles, who had overheard, held out an orange sweater. Sydney turned, "I appreciate the offer, but I don't wear orange."

"But you're wearing blue, it'll be like the colors of the Mets." He defended.

Sydney shook her head, turning back to Lydia. "He doesn't have a clue in the world."

She felt a tap on her shoulder, and she turned around to see Stiles holding out a Reese's. Sydney shrugged, taking the candy from him. "Maybe orange and blue might not go well together, but sometimes things that you think might not be a good combination turn out to be like a perfect combination. Like, peanut butter and chocolate. Or, like two people together. Who, nobody ever thought would be together. Ever."

"I can see that." Lydia interrupted.

"Really?" Stiles replied.

"Yeah." She nodded, turning to Scott and Allison. "They're cute together."

"Oh, yeah, them." He realized.

"Cute." Lydia nodded.

"Yeah, adorable." Stiles sighed angrily.

Sydney hesitantly walked toward the ice, watching as Lydia spun around like an angel. Stiles walked up beside her. "Aren't you gonna skate?"

"I've never done it before." She confessed. "I'm pretty sure I'm going to fall on my face."

"I used to ice skate with my mom, when I was little." Stiles admitted. "I'm not quite as good as Lydia, but I can stand up straight."

He held out his hand.

Sydney rolled her eyes. "You just want me to hold your hand."

"I do not." Stiles scoffed, grabbing her hand and pulling her out into the ice.

"Stiles!" Sydney shrieked, scared by the sudden shift of the ground beneath her.

"It's fine, I got this." Stiles smirked, skating across the ice.

"I'm not so sure I believe you." She replied wearily.

He looked back to respond but, with unfortunate timing, Stiles found himself slamming into a wall and dragging both himself and Sydney to the ground. Sydney sat up, looking angrily at him. "You got this?"

"Maybe I'm a little rusty." Stiles shrugged.

Suddenly, they heard a sharp scream coming from beside them. Sydney and Stiles turned to see Lydia on the ground, screaming at the ice.

They went up to her, trying to help, but there was nothing there. Nothing at all.