chapter six

pretty cries
🎶 haunted - taylor swift

Sydney and Scott were with Stiles at the car garage after receiving a call about a murder there

Sydney and Scott were with Stiles at the car garage after receiving a call about a murder there. Apparently, Stiles' Jeep fell on top of the mechanic.

In true Beacon Hills fashion, nothing was as it seemed. Stiles told Sydney and Scott the truth, that it was a strange creature that left him temporarily paralyzed. The same creature that Sydney and Allison had seen in Isaac's house. "You okay?" Scott asked.

"Yeah." Stiles nodded. "You were right. It's not like you. I mean, its eyes were almost, like... reptilian. But there was something about them."

"What do you mean?" Sydney questioned.

"You know when you see, like, a friend in a Halloween mask, but all you can see are their eyes? And you feel like you know them, but you just can't figure out who it is?" He explained.

"Are you saying that you know who it is?" Scott replied.

"No... But I think it knew me." He answered.

-

Allison was sitting with Sydney as an out of breath Stiles approached them. He had been running back and forth, serving as a sort of telephone between Scott and Allison. "He wants to know if you're coming to the game tonight." He huffed.

"Yes." Allison nodded. "Also, tell him I'm so sorry about the other day. I'm trying. We'll get through this. I know, because I love you, I love you more than anything."

Stiles groaned. "Syd how come you don't have to do this?"

"You heard Scott." She replied. "You're a trusted source."

"You're trusted, and literally on the cross country team." He sassed.

"Well you have to made your way back to Scott anyway, so might as well get going." She suggested.

He rolled his eyes. "This is your problem next time!" He huffed as he ran away.

Stiles came running back. "This is starting to get old."

Allison went wide eyed. "He said that?"

"No." He quipped. "I did. Scott and I were saying that your family most likely has a bestiary, and we need it."

Allison giggled. "I think you mean—"

"No, I mean bestiary." He interrupted. "And the two of you, I don't want to know what's going on in your heads."

"Can you describe this thing?" Sydney asked.

"Uh, it's probably like a book— old, worn." He suggested.

"Like, bound in leather?" Allison replied.

"Yes." Stiles nodded.

As Sydney watched him run back toward Scott, she laughed. "This is more running than he's done in his entire life."

"He's just trying to help." She shrugged. "But I'll admit it is kind of hilarious."

He came back. "Where does he keep it?" He asked breathlessly.

"It has to be the office." Allison answered, Stiles quickly running back toward Scott.

They waited a few minutes, and like clockwork, Stiles was back. "You know, drug dealers have been using disposable cell phones pretty successfully for years."

"My parents check every call, email, and text message I get. Trust me, they'd find it." Allison shook her head.

Sydney went wide eyed. "Everything?"

"Everything." Allison nodded.

"All right, can you get the book?" Stiles asked.

"Not without his keys." She answered.

-

Their plan was in motion. It would all happen at the lacrosse game. Allison would snatch the keys from Gerard, they would get the bestiary, and they would figure out what had been running around Beacon Hills killing people.

Sydney couldn't exactly have a seat next to Allison, considering Gerard was out to kill her brother; so, Sydney was sitting next to her Mom.

She was watching the game, and for the most part, she was enjoying it. That was, until Brady stood up.

The same girl she had seen in the parking lot ran up, kissing Brady before he went off the play. If it were anyone else, she would be laughing at Coach's fussing about it. 'Gilbert! Get it together! This isn't the prom!'

But with Brady, it was just different. She turned to her Mom. "Hey Mom, I'm gonna go get something from my car."

"Okay!" She replied absentmindedly, paying close attention to Scott on the field.

She got into her car, locking the door and making sure no one was around before beginning to cry. It just wasn't fair, how she cared so much and he just walked away. The feeling in her stomach was telling her that love should never feel like that, but she just couldn't get her brain to believe it.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the window. She jumped, turning to see who it was. Stiles. She quickly wiped the tears from her eyes before rolling down the window. "Not now Stiles."

"Syd, come on. What's wrong?" He asked.

"Just go." She replied. "I don't need anyone seeing me cry over him again."

He shook his head. "Come on, Syd. You shouldn't care if people see you cry, all right? Especially you."

"Why?"

"Because I think you look really beautiful when you cry." He answered.

For a second, her sadness lifted from her shoulders. But it soon came falling back down. "I know you, Stiles. You don't think I know you? This is just making you so happy. You hated that I was with Brady."

"Would you stop saying that?" He fussed. "Why would I want to see you this upset? I get the whole friend-zone thing, but it does mean we're at least friends, doesn't it?"

"I just, I don't want to talk about this with you." She replied.

Stiles shrugged, holding up the keys to Gerard's office. "Would you rather do something else?"