CHAPTER 55

We didn't sleep, we stayed up all night while I mostly cried and they held me. In the morning I looked a mess, my eyes were bloodshot and I looked pale as a sheet. I didn't want to go back to the hospital, I didn't want to face the reality of what might happen to the baby growing inside me.

In the morning I sat on the floor of my closet still wearing my pijamas with clothes splattered all around me, I had made a mess trying to find something to wear, such a simple task had become unbearably stressful today

"Baby" Ace whispered coming to sit by my side

"I don't know what to wear" I murmured, my eyes staying on the pants in front of me "I can't find something"

He placed a hand on my back making me snap out of my trance "we can surely find something" he said, softly. He helped me up and while I stood he chose clothes for me and dressed me "see?" He said pointing at the mirror "you look beautiful"

Slowly I nodded

"Ace?" I whispered

He turned immediately to me "yes?"

"If this baby dies I don't think I can keep going" I stared at the floor "it hurts too much even thinking about living without my baby"

"Nono" he whispered pulling me into his arms "don't say that-." He let out a shaky breath "please don't say something like that ever again, whatever happens we will be together" he hugged me tighter "promised me you won't do whatever you're thinking" I stayed silent "promise me!"

"I promise, Ace" I lied

"I love you" he murmured against my hair, his hands were trembling as he held me

The door opened and Greyson walked in "we are going to be late"

Slowly Ace released

"Come here" Greyson hugged me carefully before placing a hand on my belly "everything is going to be okay"

The car ride was silent, I stared at the passing city in a way to distract myself from reality. Ace was driving and Greyson had a protective hand over my thigh, the hospital soon appeared into view and even once the car had stopped I stayed seated, I didn't want to move, I wanted to stay in the car and never enter that goddam hospital again

"Just a minute" I said "I just need to think"

"It's okay" Greyson soothed "they will wait for us"

"Have you thought of any names?" I suddenly said "because although I don't want to know the sex I still want to have a set of names beforehand, I don't want to go inside the hospital without some names in mind" I ramble out trying not to cry "I really like Anna for a girl and for a boy I was thinking Nicholas?"

The car was silent

"I really like Nicholas" Ace said after some seconds

I smiled shakily "Greyson?"

Greyson smiled "Nicholas sounds wonderful for a boy"

Slowly I stepped out of the car with my hands shaking, I wanted to leave and go back to the apartment with my baby. We walked inside as the whole hospital had been wiped away, no soul apart from us walked through the halls. Slowly we made it toward Dr Khan's office without saying a word

The doctor's eyes widened as he saw us "Mrs Knox" he smiled "please come in" I tried to form the best smile I could and walked inside. The three of us took a seat in front of his desk as Doctor Khan grabbed some papers

"I love you" Ace whispered

Greyson kissed my cheek

I barely nodded

"How have you been feeling?" He asked, taking a seat in front of us "nausea? Fatigue?"

"I've been tired" I replied

He nodded with a lip tight smile "Mrs Knox, your blood and serum screening to see if we find alpha-fetoprotein and a amniocentesis test have come back" he slides two papers in front of us before continuing "we've found nothing to confirm an anencephaly diagnosis"

My whole body released a shuddering sob I had been holding back, Greyson let out a sigh of relief while Ace slump into his chair. Tears of relief began falling down my eyes uncontrollably, I took the papers and read them quietly. A huge burden had been lifted off my shoulders, my body feeling lighter and better

"So the baby's fine? It's healthy?" I whispered

Dr Khan smiled "you will need to come in every two weeks to keep a close eye on the baby, we will take measurements to ensure everything goes according, but besides that the baby is considered healthy"

I nodded trying to take in the information "and what you saw in the ultrasound? Should we worry?"

"In the ultrasound I saw that the baby head was considerably smaller than the baby's body, it can be considered a sign of anencephaly but it can also mean the baby was a in strange position or that in the next few weeks it will balance accordingly" he explained "I want you to come the next weeks so we can take measurements again, Mrs Knox although we can't completely discard anencephaly I'm confident enough to say your baby is a healthy one"

I nodded writing everything down in my head

"So it's healthy" I whispered to myself "the baby's fine"

———

I couldn't stop crying. I was relieved and in disbelief, we sat for hours in the car while I was barely able to breath with so much crying in between. I had a hand over my belly feeling my baby bump, I was terrified now, the fear I felt the last few days was still imprinted in my brain and wouldn't leave. So many things could hurt this baby, anyone could be pointing a gun at my belly and I wouldn't even know it or I could fall down the stairs or even worst I could be poisoned-

"Baby" Ace snapped me out of my thoughts "you're shaking"

I looked down at the hand cradling my belly, I was shaking badly "sorry I was just thinking"

"Its okay" Greyson placed his hand over mine "what were you thinking"

"That anything and everything can hurt the baby" I replied "someone could be behind the door waiting for me to come, or they could blow the whole apartment up-."

"Camille no one can hurt you from here, there's hundred of guards station around the city, there's cameras in every corner" Ace said calmly "no one can get inside without us knowing"

I shook my head "but the house was attacked! You said there was a threat-."

"That is not for you to worry" Greyson said not so calmly

"But it is! What if they hurt the baby!" I argued losing my cool "It isn't just me they can hurt! We are talking about a baby, our baby!"

"Calm down and breath" Ace instructed

"Don't tell me to breathe!" I shouted

"Camille" Greyson grabbed me by my shoulder "I know you were scared, but the baby is healthy and safe. You're freaking out by thinking the worst that could ever happen, you need to trust us when we say you are safe in this city, we have the resources and allies to ensure it"

Slowly I nodded, what else could I do? I had no other choice but to trust them

"If the time ever comes when it's no longer safe we will send away to the safety of our allies, you won't ever be in the crossfire, we won't let that happen"

I wanted to argue but deep down I knew it wouldn't change anything

"Okay" I finally relented "alright I trust you will protect your family"

"Good" Ace smiled wrapping his arms around me "because our baby is healthy and I cant fucking wait to meet him or her" he placed a smoothing hand on my belly "although I know its going to be a boy"

"You can't know that" Greyson chuckled winking at me

I tried my best to smile "the baby's healthy" I repeated