Chapter 10

As Killian ended the conversation, he continued his way. Alayna turned around and gave him one last look before turning right back to Lina.

"So how may you two be acquaintanced?" Alayna asked, smirking while elbowing Lina lightly in a teasing way.

"Shhh, he might hear us!," Lina uttered in a whisper.

Alayna gave the two other guards a slight smile as she pretended to assist Lina to the infirmary.

"You really like him, huh?" Alayna asked in an effort to tease her further.
Lina was abashed and turned her face to the other side in an attempt to hide her red face.

"No I don't!"

Alayna couldn't help but let out a small laugh. It was obvious that Lina wasn't speaking the truth. Every single gesture she made when Killian talked with them was enough to prove her interest in him. Alayna didn't say anything more, as she was quite satisfied with her progress of making Lina blush. As both of them walked towards the royal garden a thought of concern started to occur in Alayna's head. Of course Alayna was happy for her dearest friend, but she was worried about Lina's safety at the same time. If relationships were to be formed between workers in the castle it could lead to bad consequences. If the workers got caught they would lose their jobs or get severely punished for it. There were many workers in the castle that had broken that rule, still it was not a reason for anyone to risk it. The thought of losing Lina was unbearable, Alayna didn't even want to think about it. While Alayna was worrying about her dear friend, Lina on the other hand, was daydreaming of the Killian she had just spoken to. The feelings between the two of them were complicated but she couldn't stop thinking about him.

Lina's daydreaming was interrupted as Alayna began speaking again, only this time in a worried tone."Lina, you have to be careful when it comes to forming a relationship between you and Killian."

"Thank you for caring so deeply for me, I can assure you me and Killian are being very cautious. In addition we haven't begun anything yet, just some small talk." 

"I'm glad to hear that." Alayna responded in a relieved tone yet she couldn't just help her grumbling, "If either one of you were to be caught having a relationship it would lead to enormous problems."

"I know, that's why we're meeting in secret, when no one is around," Lina tried to reassure once more, but she didn't succeed. It was too late before Lina had realized the slip of her tongue.

"Meeting in secret? I didn't know you've been doing that. You said you only had small talk "

"Uhm... it has only happened once," Lina quickly answered, realizing that she had lied to Alayna for the sake of a man. The truth was Lina and Killian had met each other multiple times, but Lina couldn't admit that. Knowing Alayna had it difficult trusting people, hearing the truth would only infuriate her. Furthermore Lina promised Killian not to tell anyone about them, but now she had broken it. She broke the only promise she had ever made to someone she cherished.

Thankfully, Alayna believed Lina and only acknowledged her previous response.
"Still you have to be very careful if you want to keep meeting each other" she said.

"Of course, miss."

Both Alayna and Lina came to a stop in front of the entrance doors to the royal garden. The moment the guards pushed the doors open for them the blazing sunlight seeped through. It shone so bright that Alayna had to raise her hand to cover her eyes from being blinded. As both Alayna and Lina walked out into the garden they were met by the chilly autumn wind and a familiar scent of purple iris flowers. It was subtle yet brought back memories of Alayna being a little kid and running around the garden playing with her cousins. What a fun time it was, not having any responsibilities and being carefree enough to believe anything was possible. Her thoughts were cut off as soon as she realized she should not distract herself by pondering between different realities. She was not the same little child that could run around carefree of her surroundings, she was a princess and had to start acting as one.

The wind gave away hints of the early winter that would soon make its entrance. Tree leaves were falling to the ground and the iris flowers were starting to wither, however the fountain was still running, holding its beautiful iris shape with flower petals floating on top of the water. Even though the flowers in the garden started withering, the greenhouse was filled with them. It was almost like a criteria, to have purple irises grow all year round no matter the weather. After all, the purple iris represented the royals. It was their name and a symbol to show the commoners and other kingdoms that the Iris kingdom could never and would never be taken down.

Lina seated herself on a bench in front of the big fountain while Alayna went over to the fountain's edge instead. She began playing with the water as she started contemplating what to start off with first. "Lina, can I ask you one thing?"

"Of course, as long as it has nothing to do with me and Killian," Lina jokingly answered.

Alayna let out a forced chuckle in an endeavor to seem happy. However she wasn't able to hide her true feelings when she inquired about her question. "Are you happy?"

Without hesitation Lina answered, "Yes, I truly am happy. I'm so blessed to be living within the castle and serving you, a truly kind, young lady."

Alayna wanted to smile, but couldn't. How did it appear as if everyone, except herself, was so happy with their life. Even at the night market everyone looked so satisfied with their current lives. Was Alayna being the weird one? No one else appeared to face difficulties of any sort, so why should she have to question everything. It was a constant battle in her head.  Despite having no parents, her relatives were looking out for her. They gave her shelter and food. Her uncle had arranged a marriage for her to make her future work out for the better. She was a princess. Shouldn't she be thankful?

'No, they forgot to care about my feelings and what I thought about different things. As much as they say they cared they never took my feelings into consideration. I don't even know who I am getting married off to.' The more she thought about her feelings being ignored the more eager she was to leave this life behind her. If she would do it she knew she couldn't rely on Lina help and that it would have to be well planned.

"Are you alright, young miss?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," Alayna responded with a flat smile,"We should head back inside. I think the cold weather is making my nose stuffy."

"I agree, the weather has become more chilly," Lina responded.

Alayna was just admiring the view one last time when she heard frantic breaths and pants coming from a distance. It was a maid running with all her might toward Alayna. The two of them scrambled up from where they were sat.

"I- No we- we-"  The maids' breath came in short gasps.

"We what!?" Lina urged her to continue.

"Your highness, we have a problem!" The breathless maid said.

"What happened?" Alayna nervously asked.

"It's- It's her majesty, she found out..."

*******
Helo everyone,

I know this chapter was more of a continue to the previous chapter, but I hope you enjoyed it nevertheless.

Until next time,

S&S