Chapter 15

The empty wide hallway stood still. A silence fell upon it and for the first time Alayna was unable to hear her own thoughts. Not knowing where she was and how she ended up here she began observing her surroundings. Her gaze fleeted around the hall watching the scenery in front of her, when she suddenly spotted a door at the end of the hall. Her curiosity peaked and her body began walking towards the cryptic golden door. Alayna couldn't control or even resist the movement. She walked and walked, it seemed like an eternity. No matter how she never reached the door. It was as if the wide hall stretched beneath her feet for every step she took. 

'How is not always the most important question!' A voice loudly echoed from every direction of the hall. The sound of the familiar voice painfully screeched in Alayna's ears. It was so loud she had to cover her own ears. But the voice never stopped.

'Then what should I ask instead?' Alayna retorted, wishing for it to end. In an instant everything stopped, even the sound of her own heart beat vanished.

'Rose... Hello?.. Don't leave before answering my question!'

"Your highness.. miss Alanya?..ALAYNA CALLISTO!"

Alayna quickly opened her eyes and stood up. Mr. Ervad looked at her with a strange expression. She looked around and saw Lorenzo trying to hide a smile behind a book and Angelo not even bothering to disguise his chortle of laughter. That's when Alayna realized that all of her previous adventures led to her falling asleep during one of her classes. Which was something out of the book for her since she was an extraordinary student.

'Oh no'

When Alayna's parents were alive the Royal court had decided that it was for the best that the future generation had an education before ruling the kingdom. Even after their death the ruling continued on to their generation.

"Were you dozing off in my class?"

" No I wasn't"  She quickly blurted out in an attempt to save herself from the disastrous outcome that was about to come. Falling asleep during Mr. Evard's lesson was almost as bad as ending someone's life line. He wasn't the most understanding teacher, rather more like a monarch who likes to exploit his power as soon as he gets the chance.

"If so, could you explain how the East empire fell?"

'Easy' she thought, "It fell because the citizens attacked the palace and killed the ruling king."

"And who was the one to take the power after his death?

"Uhh.." Alayna looked to the side and tried to signal Lorenzo for help. Lorenzo made an attempt to help her, but she just couldn't understand what he was signing with his hands.

"That's what I thought, you were clearly asleep. And that is unacceptable behavior" he confronted. "What has become of you? I didn't imagine being parentless was enough to make someone so irresponsible."

Alayna looked at Mr. Ervad in slight shock. Apparently the mean comments from her own relatives weren't enough. And in the midst of Mr. Evard's scolding, Alayna could hear Angelo letting out a little laugh behind her. Even though she was deeply hurt by Mr. Evard's comment, she certainly didn't have any way to come up with any further excuses to save herself so apologizing would be the best possible option.

She pressed her lips against each other and lastly swallowed hard as if she was trying to swallow down her feelings."I deeply apologize for my indolence."

"Apologizing is not enough to excuse your irresponsibility. If you're truly sorry then detention would be the best choice for you."

"No, but I can't."