014.

T W O    W E E K S    L A T E R

T W O    W E E K S    L A T E R . . .

"How come I had to hear from your sister that you broke up with Quentin?" Zina, Zayley's mother questioned once her daughter picked up her FaceTime call.

"Dang ma. No hey, how's my daughter doing?" Zayley knitted her eyebrows together as she applied lip gloss in the mirror.

"Why hello sweetheart. How's my youngest baby doing?" Zina inquired. However, you could hear the sarcasm in her voice from a mile away.

"I'm doing just fine mom. How are you?"

"Good, can't complain. Now that we got that out the way, can we return to my question?"

"I was gonna tell you, but I've been so caught up with everything that it slipped my mind."

"I'll let you slide on this one. I know how your schedule can get these days." Zina waved her off. "How are you holding up? I know that wasn't the easiest thing for you to do."

"I'm fine, and no, it wasn't. But it needed to happen for the sake of my happiness and all."

"If it means anything, I'm glad you're putting your happiness first. You always go above and beyond for others and I think it's time you do that for yourself."

"I know ma. Slowly but surely, I am."

"That's great! I know I always tell you this, but I'm very proud of the young woman you are."

"Thanks ma. Have you told dad? I know he's happy about the news." Zayley asked curiously.

"Happy wasn't even the word to describe him. He was bouncing off the walls." Zina playfully rolled her eyes.

"Figures."

Besides Natalia and Kendra, Zayley's father Kenneth had to be the biggest Quentin Grimes disapprover. There had to be dozens of times when Quentin tried to woo her father. However, Mr. Palmer would always disregard the attempts.

Throughout their relationship, he always explained why the boy wasn't good enough for his youngest daughter. Zayley never understood why her father was so adamant about her boyfriend, but clearly Kenneth saw thru the boy's facade, hoping one day his daughter could see that for herself.

"Well, enough about that boy. Where are you heading off to? Looking beautiful as ever, I may add." Zina smiled, admiring her youngest child.

"Thank you. But I had plans to hang out with a friend today. So, here we are." Zayley replied, putting the final touches on her makeup.

"Mmh. And is this friend a player on the Golden State Warriors? Player number three perhaps?" Zina questioned, making her daughter go mute.

"I swear Kendra doesn't know how to shut her damn mouth," Zayley mumbled while shaking her head.