Part 4

My whiny belly woke me up as it complained for breakfast. I sighed and forced myself out of bed. I figured it was better to get an early start on my first day. The last thing I wanted was to be late to class, to be the new kid with all the giants staring down at me. I tested out my new school uniform. To my surprise, the cloth was comfortable and loose-fitting. Maybe wearing a uniform wouldn't be so bad after all.

Once I was ready, I steadied myself and hesitantly stepped outside, after checking to make sure no giants were nearby. The world was bathed in the soft blue light of early dawn as the sun began to rise from its slumber. Morning dew sparkled in the grass forest. I hopped on my bike and headed out. There was a slight chill in the air, but the coolness felt pleasant on my skin. I quickly became lost in the labyrinth of sidewalks. Seeing everything from the ground as opposed to the sky confused my sense of direction. I spied the main building off in the distance, towering into the heavens, but I couldn't cut through the tall grass directly to reach it.

Eventually I found my way to the courtyard, a boundless open space with a gigantic fountain in the middle that made an Olympic swimming pool look like a cup of water. Some giants were milling about, waiting for class to start, and I went out of my way to avoid them and stay out of sight if I could. The double doors that made up the entrance to the school were propped open, so I was able to get inside without incident.

Biking through the hallways was a little more dicey. While the hallways felt extremely wide and long to me, as a human, the giants were also absolutely massive and filled the space, leaving little room for me to freely pass by. Even worse, most of them were oblivious to my existence, and stomped right into my path of travel. I weaved through the maze of giant shoes and legs until I made it to the cafeteria, gasping for breath and roiling with trepidation at the dreadful thought of being stepped on.

Breakfast smelled amazing. I could almost taste the heavenly aroma of bacon, sausage, eggs, and biscuits. My stomach grumbled. I dismounted my bike and snuck past the queue of colossal giants waiting to be fed. I couldn't help but feel puny and insignificant. I wasn't able to see people's faces without craning my neck back and staring far above. I would probably become more acquainted with people's shoes than their faces. Nobody seemed to notice me, the skittish little creature scrambling across the floor. Even if I screamed, I doubted I would be heard over the clamorous roar of giant voices.

Disturbed by this thought, I finally made it to the deserted human section of the cafeteria and walked over to the platform where my breakfast was supposed to be. There was nothing. I stood there awkwardly, looked around, scratched my head. I waited for a while, to see if maybe the lunch ladies were just running late, but nobody came. The giant students were starting to leave the cafeteria to go to their respective classrooms. I didn't want to be late, so I rushed over to my bike and left for my first class of the day. I'd come back for lunch, I guess. I could make it until then.

Luckily for me, my first class was just across the hall, so I didn't have to dodge too many giant shoes to get there. I parked my bike, went up the stairs, claimed a desk, and waited for class to start. Other students stomped in, shaking the human desks slightly, chatting noisily and laughing with their friends. I sat motionless, drooping down in my seat, grateful to be ignored. I stuffed down the fear that was rising inside me at seeing so many giant people in one place.

The teacher, a heavyset middle-aged woman, marched in and started class. First period was math. Ugh. I struggled to pay attention with my hungry belly as she droned on. She wrote a jumble of numbers and letters and symbols on the chalkboard that I couldn't make heads or tails of. She directed the students to open their textbooks to a certain page and ran through some sample problems, calling on students as the lesson progressed. I glanced around at the other students as they focused on their work. I was never issued any textbooks. Was I supposed to have one? I was tempted to ask the teacher, but the thought of drawing attention to myself gave me a stab of fear. Furthermore, the giantess didn't acknowledge me or look my way at all, as if she didn't know I was there. I became increasingly baffled and anxious as the lesson dragged on.