Part 8

I wondered what was taking so long. It was almost dinnertime, and I was growing anxious at the lack of communication. I hated not having my cellphone on hand. I thought Mr. Henderson would have sorted out the mess and returned by now. What if he had come and gone while I was missing? I hadn't considered that possibility and the idea filled me with consternation. I didn't want to wait another day. I didn't want to have to attend classes again tomorrow if I didn't have to.

As intimidating as it was to venture back outside, I resolved to return to the school and visit his office. I figured he hadn't left yet for the day, if he hadn't contacted me yet. Besides, I wanted to grab dinner too, and to do that I would have to go to the cafeteria again. I sighed, running my hands through my hair as I made an effort to mentally prepare myself. I had to be strong.

I went outside and pulled my bike out of the rack. The sun was just starting to dip down toward the horizon, bathing the world in golden twilight and tinting the sky with red and orange. My long shadow contorted across the pavement as it followed me along my path. The fields of shining green grass undulated calmly in the breeze like waves on the beach. I passed by a giant tree, the grooves in the bark highlighted dramatically with contrasting light and shadow. The gorgeous, tranquil sights and colors soothed my soul as I rode my bike on the expansive sidewalk. This giant world was so frightening, and yet so beautiful.

As if to drive the "frightening" part of that statement home, I saw a giant traveling in my direction along the same sidewalk I was biking on. My guts twisted into knots, and my blood pressure spiked into the stratosphere. I had an urge to dive into the grass outlining the sidewalk and conceal myself. However, I ignored this compulsion and continued forward. I was on a bike; I was moving fast; no giant would catch me. I gave him a wide berth as the towering behemoth, with crashing footfalls, strolled by me without incident. I exhaled in relief. Even so, I knew I would have to pass quite a few more giants to reach my destination. I clenched my teeth and pedaled forward with purpose.

I couldn't lose my nerve now. I reached the plaza and biked around the lake of a fountain in the middle. The double doors to the school were still propped open, so I shot through them too. There weren't too many giants in the hallways, since school was not in session, so I had enough room to bike around without having to worry about being squished. Nonetheless, I still stayed close to the walls out of an abundance of caution.

This strategy would prove to be a mistake. I had assumed that the classrooms would be empty, as well as most of the other learning-related areas, and that most people in the school at this time would be here for the food. As I crossed by the threshold to the library, a giant happened to be walking out at the same time. I saw the massive black and white sneaker pound down in front of me a second too late. My bike crashed into the giant shoe, vaulting me over the handlebars. I flew over his shoe with a surprised shout and skidded across the hard tile floor, tearing through my uniform and skinning my knees.

For a moment, I was too stunned to move as pain shot through my legs. As I stumbled back to my feet, I felt warm liquid dripping down my calves and realized I was bleeding. When I looked behind me, I was shocked to see twin skid marks of blood across the floor from my scraped knees.

"Ack, I'm so sorry! Are you alright?" a resounding voice rumbled above me. I flinched reflexively and looked up with fearful eyes. The giant whose shoe I had ran into was kneeling over me with concern. He was a huge, awkward, gangly giant with thick black-rimmed glasses covering his chocolate brown eyes. He had messy light brown hair and pasty skin with a constellation of acne on his face.

"Oh no, you're bleeding!" he exclaimed. He reached his gigantic hand toward me. "Here, let me help—"

In response, I shrieked and jerked back. He stopped and frowned with confusion. "Don't touch me!" I cried out, holding my hands out in front of me in defense. I was aware he was only trying to help, but alarm at potentially being grabbed again consumed me. "I-I'll be fine!" I assured him shakily, circling his shoe with the intention of reclaiming my bike. He followed me with his eyes, looking at me with pity, but didn't move his hand near me again. I seized my bike and rode off as fast as I could.