1 | Chapter

A soft metallic clink rung out, instantly drowned out by louder, and sharper noises. The soft clinking continued, sounding at regular intervals.

Clink.

Is the guy over there crushing on that freshman girl?

Yes.

Clink.

More than a year?

Yes.

The clinking stopped.

Damn, now that's embarrassing. Imagine pining after a girl younger than you for so long... for someone who'd most likely never notice you... Well, thats unless he could scrounge up the courage to talk to her.

A boy scoffed from his perch on the bench, just outside the bustling school. One pale hand clenched around a coin.

Doubt it.

The clinking resumed.

His right hand went through the familiar motions, over and over again. A coin was tossed into the air, only to be caught once more, repeatedly. Tobias found the habit soothing, a way to preoccupy his hands as well as his mind. It helped to numb the unwanted emotions when they threatened to stir. Plus it had other perks in store.

Will he trip over his shoelaces?

Clink.

Yes.

Not a moment after, a freshman kid with oversized shoes that looked to be able to fit a person thrice his width, took a nasty spill down the three uneven steps that marked the entrance. Tobias flinched lightly, feeling sorry for the poor guy who was scrambling to pick up several loose papers that were being trampled underfoot. He toyed around with the thought of helping him or not. Another coin toss and Tobias had decided.

No.

It was not the kid's lucky day. Tobias didn't laugh, only stared blankly at the nerdy looking boy with a bulging school bag, and large round glasses that were currently askew on his face. The sight was nearly comical, but he wasn't cruel enough to mock him. And the coin prevented him from helping, so only one path was available. To stay seated, and observe quietly.

Or should I walk away?

Yes.

Perhaps there was still a choice after all, Tobias mused. But the coin had told him specifically to leave, which meant that he couldn't stay. There wasn't a choice, and he much preferred it than having the power to decide for himself. Terrible things happen when he possessed that ability. Tobias would rather trust in an inanimate object to make them for him. The coin always knew the best path to take.

Life was easier that way, more tolerable. Surviving had become... a yes or no question.

Tobias sighed, glancing at the kneeling boy scrambling to collect his possessions one last time. Committing the frustration on his face to memory, somewhat unnerved at the raw emotion. He hadn't felt anything for... a long time.

Heaving himself off the bench, Tobias shuffled away. The amount of students had significantly decreased by the time he sort to leave. He could breathe freely and walk without worrying that someone would bump into him. He wasn't a fan of physical contact, absolutely abhorring it.

The walk back was filled with anticipation. One foot in front of the other taking him to the one place Tobias despised the most. It was not his home, it hadn't been for six years. It was simply the place where he occasionally slept, and dreaded coming back to everyday after school.