17 | Chapter

Felix was a sucker for pets. Every ten feet they walked together, he would intentionally bump his head against Tobias' legs and whine. Every time, Tobias would wordlessly indulge the needy wolf. He was yet to remove his hand from Felix's head after the last petting spree, opting to keep the contact to prevent from being knocked over by the over eager wolf. He too loved the contact, feeling the soft texture of the fur sifting through his fingers. It was almost as soothing as flipping his coin.

That's a first.

There's been a lot of firsts for me lately...

True, true.

Patrol duty might sound dull for most people, but for Tobias? It was a pleasant way to unwind from all the stress he had accumulated over the past few days. Therapeutic. Like talking your dog out for a stroll, except it was not a dog, but a full grown werewolf as tall as a human. An intelligent being with his own thought process. Granted, a very random thought process.

On and off, Tobias would glance at his side, half expecting the werewolf to start rambling about something or the other, only to realize that he physically couldn't. He wasn't entirely sure which version of Felix he preferred, the adorable chatterbox or the furry attention seeker. There was a strange allure to both sides of him. Tobias liked hearing him go on and on, yet he also liked the serenity that came with his wolf form. Although it made him miss Felix's voice. He can't decide.

No one said you had to choose, Chase said gently. Though, if we were part of the pack, he could easily link us.

Do you wish to be part of his pack?

It's an ingrained instinct for wolves, Tobias. I'll always want to be part of a pack, and it's frankly the best option for you. You won't have to deal with your bitch of a father anymore that way. But... I also wouldn't want to make you uncomfortable in your own skin, so it's entirely up to you, he replied begrudgingly. Besides, Felix did say that we're welcome at the pack anytime.

Thank you, for considering my feelings on the situation, Tobias said in a low voice, a whisper of a tone. Maybe... in the future, but I'm content with the way things are in the present.

We'll go at your pace, I'm not going anywhere.

That warm and fuzzy feeling grew in his chest, prompting a soft smile. Tobias subconsciously ruffled the fur on Felix's head, causing him to let out a short bark. He chuckled lightly at that, petting the long fur on the wolf's back.

When he checked the time, Tobias realized that a good couple of hours had passed and wondered if the patrol circuit was completed. Every part of the forest appeared similar to him, and yet Felix padded across the land confidently, never once at a loss. All Tobias could do to help was to carry his clothing around. It felt as if the two of them were going in circles. He had faith in Felix's abilities though, and knew that he wouldn't steer them wrong.

Tobias' fingers slipped free of the warm fur as Felix suddenly stopped in his tracks, staring at his torso. Figuring that he'd caught a scent or something similar, Tobias waited to see what he would do next. Which was to immediately dart behind a tree with a thick trunk and copious roots. Following the abrupt exit came the horrendous breaking of bones. Tobias fought the urge to run away to a good distance so that he wouldn't have to hear it.

It'll be over soon. You can't help what's a natural process in a werewolf's life. Soon enough, you'll shift, and finally experience the freedom... and the sheer power that comes with changing your form.

I don't believe that anything is worth having to go through that mu-

"Uh, Tobias? Can I have my clothes back?"

Quick as lightning, he thrusted them into the outstretched well-defined arm poking out from behind the tree. "What's with the rush?" Tobias asked, feeling awkward while waiting for the man to get dressed. His eyes fell on to the delicate wolf carving on the two sides of the coin, tracing it with a finger. He couldn't help but think that the image looked startlingly similar to the real deal.

The rustling of clothes reached his ears and then Felix said, "I need to talk to you about... something."

Well, that was ominous, commented Chase.

He probably just remembered something out of the blue, or just wanted to say something in general. I can't imagine it was easy for him to stay quiet for this long.

You may be right about that...

Felix emerged from behind the tree, fully dressed in record time and expression unreadable. Which rubbed Tobias the wrong way, considering that he was normally wide open with his emotions. Wearing his heart on his sleeve. Even as a wolf his feelings were blatantly obvious. Without forewarning, Felix dropped down to the ground and gestured for him to do the same. Tobias tentatively did as he was told, and seated himself.

"Tobias, I... I saw the bruise on your stomach," Felix stated, his tone cautious. Well aware that he was treading on some mighty thin ice. "Can I just ask... what happened?"

He froze instantly, even going as far as to cease his senseless flipping of the coin. And then resumed as if nothing was amiss. The pause in his movements is only perceived by those with the most observant sight. Unfortunately for him, which Felix happened to be. "I knocked over a table," Tobias lied, the action coming fluidly to him.

Tell him!

"The bruise is too big to have gotten through that," said Felix, frowning. "Are you being bullied at school?"

Tobias deadpanned. "I haven't even been at school the last couple of days, thanks to you." For once, he didn't blush, merely causing his frown to deepen. The grim expression didn't suit him at all, and it lowkey disturbed Tobias to see it so openly.

"Right... you couldn't have gotten it from school. Even if you did, it would have faded by now. Bruises fade completely in a few hours, which means that you got it today. You also mentioned that you didn't want to be at home." Felix rapidly narrowed down the possibilities, his mind whirring with the speed of his thought process. His eyebrows knitted together as he stared at him sharply, black eyes narrowing with a dangerous glint. "Tobias, are you... are you being abused?"

He's... smarter than I gave him credit for. This is your chance! Felix can help you! Please, Tobias! Chase pleaded with him. You can't keep on living with a man who's only fit for jail!

You said that we'll go at my pace! This is not my pace!

I know what I said, but I can't stand seeing you getting hurt all the time... I can feel the way each punch kills a piece of you inside, how every kick drains your will to keep on living... if you just let me-

Should I tell him?

Yes...

Yes.

Should he offer to help, do I accept it?

Yes!

No. Chase howled loud enough to drown out the single word. Yet he could still distinguish what it was.

"Yes..." Tobias whispered at last, clenching his fist around the circular scrap of metal. "Yes, I am." He was certain that he still heard him loud and clear with his heightened senses. The silence stood still for a split second, and then it was shattered by a scorching voice.

"Who?"    

"My father." His tone lacked even a single hint of an emotion, utterly monotonous. Anticipating what question came next, Tobias tacked on, "for the past five years."

Felix was taken aback at that, face turning ashen gray and sickly with pure horror. Rendered speechless by the revelation, a hush fell over the two seated beneath the green canopy. It was nearing noon, and the sun almost directly overhead cast a high intensity of rays upon the land. And yet none of it penetrated the leafy roofing, merely passing through to brighten its insides with an otherworldly green glow. The ambience felt mystical, almost.

"What about your mother?" Felix couldn't resist the overwhelming curiosity and growing anguish, blowing up a storm within him.

"She left," he replied shortly, purposefully being vague. It was one of his least favorite things to talk about. The way his mother simply left him in the middle of the night, having had enough of her husband's daily beatings. No goodbye, no note, no phone call... she just up and left, leaving her thirteen year old son alone with a monster.

"Any siblings? Other relatives? There has to be someone out there who's willing to help you!"

Tobias deadpanned. "No. And I don't need anyone's help. I'm fine."

"Tobias..."

"It's not up for discussion, Felix. I'm staying right where I've always been, and you're not in any position to be changing my mind about it. We're still basically strangers. I'm only caught up in your werewolf business because of you."

Expressions on lockdown, Felix leveled him with a steady, unwavering gaze. "I'd have thought that by now we were friends at the latest, but... I guess not."

A/N

Yessss! Another update! I'm on a roll here! Thing are getting heated...

Anyways, do you guys think that maybe this story is God enough for the wattys? 🥲

Don't forget to spread your love by voting, commenting and sharing! Tobias needs all the love he can get!

-RL-

❤️💖❤️