11 | Chapter

I'd like to give a shoutout to the amazing @rebecca_batteur for reviewing this book! I'm honored to receive such a well detailed, and heart felt review! Once again, thank you so freaking much for your time and energy! Please do check out her work!

Tobias slowly breathed in, and out. Over and over again, to simply savor the peaceful atmosphere. Never having felt such an immense amount of pure, unfiltered relief in his entire life. Tobias was afraid that it would be the first, and last, time he could fall under it's soothing spell. Better to cherish the small moments now that they were few and further in between.

Something told him that things were only going to get more complicated from here on out...

So I felt all that, because of you? Tobias questioned, trying to wrap his head around all this supernatural stuff. A whine answered him, Chase finally making an appearance after that fiasco of a meltdown.

But why? Why do you care so much about what happened to me? It's all in the past, and you can't change that, so why bother getting worked up over it?

There was silence for a beat, and then his wolf spoke. It's just that... I feel guilty for not being there for you. My anger... I feel like it's something that you've been missing these past few years. I know it's irrational, but I can't help but think that... maybe I could've made things better. Or at least be there for you.

To say that he was speechless would be an understatement, as Tobias was even beyond that. Words failed him entirely, at the intense emotions that the wolf was emitting. It seemed as if the animal had more of an emotional conscience than him, the human side of their supposed duo.

You're right, it is irrational, he sighed. I've been doing fine by myself, w- Chase. Things weren't as bad as they looked. Besides... I am human, sorry, was human. That's just how we function. We don't exactly have a voice in our head to talk about all our problems, which if we did, would put a crap ton of people out of a job. It'd be like free therapy.

That little quip earned him a laugh from the ever serious wolf stuck in his head. Pleased with the positive reaction, Tobias continued to talk, thinking hard on their unique situation.

And the emotions... I think you're right about that too. You must have merged with some of mine somehow, resulting in that outburst.

Chase growled softly in agreement. All of your pent up anger and frustration, it had to get out someway or the other. It would have been detrimental in the future had I not appeared and pushed it towards the surface before you could potentially explode from the pressure. It's not healthy to bottle up your emotions, Tobias. You or someone else could have been seriously hurt.

It wasn't exactly... intentional. Tobias fidgeted with the coin, unable to resist the urge to flip it. The constant motion relaxed his still tingling nerves from the overflow of fury. You're literally in my mind, Chase. You should know why I'm like this, and you're probably the only person that does.

I do know. And now that I am here, I'll make sure that no one can ever, harm you like that again! I promise you that. He had a sudden image of a blonde wolf puffing out it's chest, ears cocked and head held high. It was surreal, actually seeing the owner of the voice inside his head. Another piece of evidence that what happened, truly happened.

You... thank you, I guess. Tobias wasn't sure how to react in that instance. It's been so long since he's even had a meaningful conversation with anyone. It was safe to say that social interaction was not one of his skills. Not that he had any to begin with.

You're alright, Tobias. You're alright. The wolf laughed at his lame response, causing a soft, warm glow to light up in his chest. Gone was the last shreds of the phantoms of animosity that had lingered even after Felix initially made them vanish. Instead replaced with that odd, but pleasant warmth.