12 | Chapter

"What did you do back there? To calm my wolf down?" Tobias sprung the question upon the unsuspecting werewolf.

When he declared that he indeed will accompany Felix to see the witch doctor (wouldn't vet be the more appropriate term?), the impulsive wolf took it to mean at that very instant. Immediately scrambling up from the surprisingly comfy forest floor, offered him a hand up and then they were off. In a seemingly random direction, leading them further in to the depths of the forest. Seeing as that they were already skipping school, Tobias understood his logic.

Why put off until tomorrow, what can be done today?

Taken aback at the abrupt enquiry, Felix had to take a moment or two to gather his thoughts. "I let my own wolf come forward. Wolves are social creatures. They rely on one another, and the skinship brings them closer together, a form of comfort. It's generally how they interact with other wolves. The presence of another wolf essentially allowed your wolf to cool his jets. Although, I've never met such a bad tempered one before."

Technically... I had the emotions enough for two people... it's not wholly my fault... Chase whined.

I get it, Chase. Just, try not to do that again, okay?

Okay.

They were coming into a denser part of the woods, the trees less spaced out and barely adequate forest floor visible to walk on. The canopy of leaves overhead shielded them from the harsh sunlight, leaving an odd green light to illuminate the otherwise dark forest. Birds chirped cheerily to one another, other critters scurrying away as they passed by. The natural atmosphere was utterly peaceful, undisturbed by a human's destructive touch. Tobias found that he felt completely at ease, his mind and body the most relaxed it had been since... a very, long time ago.

As mesmerizing as the scenery was, he had questions that needed to be answered. Ones that were brewing for quite some time. They were the very reason Tobias had even agreed to make the journey. To get some answers, and because the coin had said so.

Thinking back to the fateful day that he had first run into the forest, to get away from Felix, he realized that he basically had zero knowledge about how this new world worked. Like for instance, how on earth did Felix turn him into a werewolf in the first place? Wasn't that solely a vampire trait?

"How... how did you turn me?"

Felix glanced at him from the corner of his eye, somehow managing not to walk smack into a tree. Mild confusion etched his face, but there was still a smile present. "I assumed that you would have noticed it by now. Haven't you looked in a mirror at all?"

A mirror? What's a mirror got to do with it?

At his silence, Felix's typically open expressions molded into an unreadable one. "I uh... had to bite you in my wolf form, with the intent to turn you. So it doesn't happen accidentally. I know it sounds illogical, but that's honestly it."

Tobias accepted that answer, but that didn't mean that he understood it. He subconsciously eyed the bare parts of his body, and found that he didn't have to search for long either. There was a prominent set of teeth marks marring the otherwise pale skin on his left bicep, just faintly visible under the shirt sleeve. How he had missed such a very obvious mark, was bewildering, and far beyond him. Perhaps he'd been too preoccupied with all the other situations that followed right after being turned.

I guess that's one scar that won't heal with our enhanced healing abilities, Chase noted, observing the bite mark alongside him. Does it bother you?

Not really, Tobias replied, trying to see it in different angles. A sudden thought occurred to him, causing him to turn his head sharply to the left, where Felix walked next to him. He was just about to fire away another question, when the werewolf abruptly halted. Forcing him to stop in his tracks as well. Tobias swiveled his head back to the front, only to take a hesitant step backwards.