Prologue

A young wizard with a dark complexion and brown eyes walked slowly and hesitantly into the dark room.

The first thing that caught his eye was a long table set in its central point. When a huge snake with dark green scales appeared in the middle of it, he felt disgusted.
The creature, not only repulsive but also hostile, hissed at him and then crawled to the ground. Right at the feet of its owner.

The only light source in the room was the fireplace, in which the fire was only smoldering. It gave the room an even darker appearance.
In fact, the light was not needed for vision anyway, because all other furniture except the chairs and the previously mentioned table was pushed to the sides of the room and covered with sheets.

"Lord." The boy leaned forward slightly, keeping his eyes on the unmoving figure at the other end of the room.

"Do you like my pet?" The voice asked, "Don't be shy, it doesn't bite. It prefers to swallow whole."

Another shrill hiss escaped from the beast's mouth. Blaise Zabini wanted so much to take a step back, but he stopped himself from doing so.

"You needed me?" He asked, so as not to have to answer the question.

"Yes, my dear boy. I have a special task for you." The man ran his hand over the snake's scales.

"What can I do for you, Lord?" The boy really hated to call him that with all his heart, but every Death Eater had a duty to do so if he wanted to survive.

"Do you know Harry Potter's friends?" He asked, adding special emphasis to the last three words. The boy nodded in response.

He wouldn't say he KNEW them in particular, rather he recognized them from the corridor.

"Weasley, Does that name mean anything to you?" Another nod. He wasn't sure where this conversation was going. "You need to get rid of him."

The ease with which those words had been uttered terrified him.
That one sentence was supposed to define him and the rest of his life.
He was going to be a murderer.

Blaise didn't quite understand the rest of the words that have been spoken after. His eyes glazed over and his muscles refused to obey.

Shit.

"Of course, you can disagree." Blaise knew he couldn't, if he did, he'd be fed to that nasty snake and someone else would do the job.

"I agree, Lord." The last word was almost inaudible.

"Great! The sooner the better." The figure waved his hand as a sign that he could leave. Blaise bowed slightly once more and left the room.

As soon as the door closed, the boy fell to his knees on the cold floor. He tried with all his might to stop the convulsions that shook his body.

That day was the worst day of Blaise's life. A wizard who still had his whole life ahead of him, in which he still had much to learn. A friend who was supposed to be a support for others. A son who would never look into his mother's eyes the way he did before.