xv. paperclips

Hiii!!! My stupid silly self deleted half of this chapter and had to rewrite the entire thing based on memory ((suffering))

((edited 2.13.23))

-
You were undoubtly, completely, and utterly bored.

The stitches on your nose were still healing, all covered up with a stark white bandage. It hurt, whenever the pain medicine didn't flow through you, but you were slowly getting used to the sting everytime you took a breath.

You've counted the ceiling tiles, the amount of nurses that walked by, and the beeps of the monitor, more times than you'd like to admit. You had nothing to do really, and you didn't even want to think about school work.

Taeko, Osano, and Hanako would visit you after school, always with some tailored gossip to spill ((mostly Hanako anyways)). Osano, much to your surprise, would always bring that extra bento filled with lunch and your favorite snack.

You'd thank him, complaining about the hospital food jokingly, and without fail, he'd always say 'it's your fault for ending up here.'

Taeko would read to you on the days she visited you on her own, her voice usually lulling you into a soft sense of security. It was always a fun time when she brought a really bad book so you both could do a dramatic reading of it. Even if it physically hurt to laugh.

Oko visited you as well, looking at you with a sense of awe. "...(y/n), you're so... cool." He complimented your new scar, feeling his own face as if to map out how'd it look on him. He'd been the only person to see it thus far, coming to visit you when the nurse arrived.

He'd usually bring paper in so many shades of purple, some that you found yourself drawn to. He'd teach you how to make a ton of paper crafts/sigils and you'd teach him how to make paper planes and ninja stars.

Kizano even showed up once, even if it were to just drop off homework. He grumbled something the last time he visited, and dropped the play flyer right in your hands before stiffly walking away. Seeing him so flustered will always be amusing.

The principal bribed your mother and the investigators not to tell the news outlets about the killer (can you even call them that now?) And the injuries you and Amao sustained from being attacked. The Odayaka family convinced your mom fully, worried about their son's recovery once the news outlets get their hands on a story like this.

It wasn't long before you were able to go home, and you were overjoyed. You glance over at Amao who's looking worse for wear, a guilty feeling rising in your chest.

Could you have prevented this much damage? What's the point of having insight if you couldn't even distinguish when to use it?

You pack up your things, and write Amao a note, using the backside of a napkin. You left the hospital with the tang of bitter chocolate aftertaste.