xxi. notebook

Hi guys!! Welcome to the next chapter!! Hope your days are going well!! This was written at like 4 am and also rewritten bc wattpad deleted half of my progress again ((my biggest hater fr))

(unedited 4.7.23)

-
"Ring ring, ring ring. Ring ring, ring-"

Osano Najimi listened to the rings echo in his otherwise silent room, waiting for you to pick up. The inky skies were the only witness to his turmoil. A quick glance at his phone screen told him it was only 4 am, but he didn't let the dial tone go.

He couldn't.

His mind was usually a treacherous place, with nightmares of death so frequently, sometimes he thinks he's a zombie.

This nightmare however, had his palms shaking from even before he woke. Those nightmares never lasted more than a couple of seconds, this one felt as if it lasted a couple of months.

Nor have they ever felt as vivid.

He's seen the students of Akademi before, so he guessed it wasn't as outlandish to have that as a place for his demons to fester. Still, for them to manifest in this way?

He shut his eyes, as the voicemail message came through. He called again. Maybe he was clinging to the repeated beeps in the silence than to any hope of you picking up.

He blamed his sweaty palms and blurry vision for why your number was the one he picked, but Osano knew it was a lie. The thought of Taeko made his stomach turn, and not in the usual way it did.

No butterflies fluttered around, only wasps.

He could say it was because of the nightmare, but then he'd get reminded of the real reason why he was calling you.

When the rings were abruptly cut off, he held his breath. He didn't say anything when he heard shuffling on the other side of the line, he didn't say anything until your confused voice came through the receiver.

"Osano? It's... 4 am? Is there something wrong?" Despite your complaints about the time, you didn't sound tired at all. He shoves the thought to the side, finding the words he wanted to say since his shaky hands found your number.

"D..did- are you okay?" He ended up saying instead, realizing how crazy he'd sound. His voice still cracked from the lack of use, much to his embarrassment.

The nightmare lingered on the forefront of his mind, but he didn't have the courage to outright ask about the events at the cherry tree. Frankly, he'd rather die than you coming to the conclusion that he's a freak.

Still your voice, monotone as it is, confirmed something for him. That even if the events happened, you were okay.

That potentially whatever happened at that cherry blossom tree was just a trick his mind played on him.