xxvi. compass

I

I. AM. ALIVVEEE!!!!!! sorry for the super duper long wait lmao, being a game design major is tiring lmaoo!!! But heres an update!!!! Hope you guys have been well!!! its been fun reading ur comments as a pick-me-up, and I hope you enjoy the shenanigans of this chapter!!!

-

Information was power, and anonymity was strength.

Nobody knew about his alter identity, 'Info-kun', and to get his way, he needed to keep it that way. Because despite his mischievous persona, to the world, he was Rui Futaba. A somewhat good guy despite his crude jokes.

"Hey Futaba, are you up for karaoke?" A faceless student asks him, swinging an arm around his shoulder. Rui pulls out an earphone, sending them a close-eyed smile.

"Ah- maybe next time. It'll be my treat." Cheers erupted from the Akademi student, who beckoned over his friends. They didn't even notice that the longer they stood in his way, the more of a target they became. He kept his mask on, until they bid their goodbyes.

His smile turned frigid as he waved them off. He rolled his eyes in annoyance once the student's back was turned. The rest of his walk was relatively peaceful, and he made a mental note to get himself off of the detention roster later. There was no point if you weren't going to be there after all.

Placing the earphones in his ear again, nothing but radio static drums through them. With the umbrella presumably placed in the girl's bag, he wasn't too surprised that the audio wasn't picking up well. He was admittedly kind of surprised to see that Yamada wasn't hanging off your arm like usual either, in fact you two haven't been talking at all. Strange.

Rui whistled a tune as he headed to his house.

He'd love to be in his office instead, but for the sake of appearances, he had to visit that dreaded place. No matter, he'd call in sick the next couple of days, and catch up in his sanctuary.

Still, for today, he only had to hope that his shitty inventing would hold up against the distance from your house to his. Seeing as you two were neighbors, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

The static's monotone tune almost felt like a warning, but Rui was never one to pay heed to those.

On the way, his thoughts end up straying back to you, like they've been fond of doing recently.

He'd like to say he knows you better than most, at least he thought he did. He was the best friend you went to when you managed to get away from that Yamada girl.

He didn't attend to your elementary school but he was with you all the time in junior high. Keeping you in his pocket for when the occasion arises to use your potential. You both hung out nearly everyday at your house when you weren't with Yamada and her irritating little brother. All in all, he thought he confidently held your trust like a small bug in his hand.