Outcast

Chapter 10: Outcast

I did not know what to say to that. What could I say other than yes. Sure, I could lie, but it would be any easily discovered one. And why was I so affected anyway? I knew. I knew from the very beginning that I couldn't hide what I was forever. And with blabber mouth Zach finding out I guess it was a shock that it took three days for it to get out. But I was affected. I was afraid and felt sick. Why?

I walked numbly ahead of the Commander. He still had a hand on my shoulder and guided me through the nearly empty church. I could feel eyes on me as I walked. Wells and the priest hurried behind us. Wells was nattering on about how much of a jerk Vincent was, while the priest grumbled about heretics or some such. I was not paying attention.

We exited the church and stepped out onto the stairs. The street was empty and there was a cool breeze. The city was bathed in an orange glow, yet it seemed so lonely. I could hear children some place close, I could hear birds and I could even hear the market workers in the near distance shouting and talking to one another. But somehow, I felt alone. Worried.

Rice continued to gently push me forward, his touch light and warm. It was as we passed through the marketplace that I realized that I was even letting a man touch me. When was the last time I aloud anyone touch me for a prolonged period. I really couldn't remember.

"There is the wretch!" Exclaimed a triumphant voice. It was this that brought me out of my stupor. We were in front of the guild hall, I saw. I wouldn't say it was crowded by any means, but there was a fair sized group of people gathered. Mostly adventurers that I recognized in passing, a couple guards, and a handful of regular citizens. My eyes landed on the flushed and victorious looking face of the guardsmen, Vincent. "Come to face the music, have you?"

Music? Exactly what was this guy's problem. Was he such a weak willed person that his ego was still this bruised? Gods, what a pathetic man.

"Shut it, Vincent!" Snapped Wells, "We have had enough of your lies." I saw him actually reach for the sword at his waist. The idiot. Was he seriously going to risk his job and possibly even his freedom for the honor of a woman he barely knew? Where Vincent was too big of a tool to be tolerated, Wells was the opposite. Too righteous. It could very well get him killed one of these days.

"That is enough Wells." Sighed Commander Rice. "Vincent, you had best get yourself under control or I will have you flogged for insubordination and attempting to incite a mob."

"He can't be aloud to keep spreading these senseless rumors." Growled Wells.

"Rumors!" Snarled Vincent, an almost manic look in his eyes. "Truths! I had my suspicions but now I know for sure. That -woman- is a demon!" He screeched, a wavering finger all but up my nose at this point. I thought about snapping it but figured it would only escalate matters.

"Vincent, stop-"warned Rice, his hand tightening on my shoulder.

"No! I will not be silenced! The people have a right to know!" Spittle was flying from his lips and people were starting to look at him like he may have lost his mind. But their eyes also flicked nervously to me. "She is a demon. I heard none other than Zachariah of the Red Ravens say it himself. He was in town a few hours ago with that witch Sandra and he was discussing how excited he was to get to question an actual demon! And that Sandra didn't even rebuke him or call him a liar! She told him that he was supposed to keep quiet! Ha! So now the government is hiding demons among us too?"

I saw the fear entering the peoples eyes. Saw those who were beginning to gather whisper and point. Suddenly I was as mad as I was cold inside. Like a battle of ice and fire in my veins. So, they feared me huh? Why? What had I done to any of them to earn that fear- that scorn- I saw forming in their gazes. I felt Rice squeeze my shoulder again, but I reached up and brushed his hand off. Enough.