The Heroes of Larasta

Chapter 12: The Heroes of Larasta

I stood very stiff out on the slightly damp grass the next morning. It had finally rained last night but hardly more than a misting. I felt like the weather was trying to spite me for my brash behavior the day before. Why else would the world provide me with such slippery footing on a day that I had to spar with one of the strongest knights in the Red Ravens?

Said bastard stood about fifteen feet away from me, looking much less tense on the wet grass than I ever could. In fact, he looked down right evil with that cocky grin on his annoyingly handsome face. He was in a fighting stance, no doubt with no openings, but I was not skilled enough to know for sure. Whatever he was, he was definitely looking forward to bashing a demon around.

The other Ravens sat perched on or around the gates of the stables. It wasn't a large building but it could house ten or twelve horses in stalls spread across the back wall of the base. Even now I could see a couple horses munching on hay. But the horses were not the ones currently taking bets on how fast I was going to be eating dirt. My hearing was good enough that I could tell that me being a demon didn't seem to up my odds very much in their eyes.

"Alright you too." Said Rift, his eyes laughing. "No magic, no weapons. Do try and not kill one another please. Leon is standing by in case of injury." The last part he added while waving a hand at the platinum elf I had seen yesterday. Apparently, he was a healer. Apparently he was also scared shitless, given the absolutely pale face and terrified eyes he had. I gave the captain a concerned look and he laughed. "Not to worry Sin. Our Leon may be a scared little kitten who sometimes feints at the sight of blood, but he is one of the most skilled healers in the entire kingdom." I'd have to take the man's word for it because the elf was not inspiring any confidence. He certainly didn't seem to think he was the best given the fact that he began to shake at his captains words.

I took a steadying breath, spread my feet and raised my fists, and waited for the go signal. I saw Vale's eyes glint with a kind of manic malice. Ugh.

"Start!"

Vale was on me in a flash. I didn't even see the dark booted kick coming for my head. Clearly, he was going for a single hit knock out. Bastard. I ducked down to my belly, used my hands to brace my weight, and tried to kick his feet out from under him while he was still mid kick. Not surprisingly, he did not fall for it, grabbing my ankle just before I made contact with his.

"Tch!" I said angerly, using my strength to yank my foot free of his grasp, rolling onto my back and attempting to punch his jaw.

Vale hopped back and I wasted no time getting to my feet, much muddier than I had been a second before. There was no point in staying on the defensive. He would either wear me out of take me out with a well aimed blow. All I could do was remain aggressive and hope I got lucky.

I charged the larger male, putting as much speed as I could behind it. I saw his eyes flash with surprise but he still dodged my fist as it came flying at his face once again. His own fist shot out, aiming for the ribs, but I managed to get my hands on his arm and to use it to lift my self up and over his back in a flip that would have been impossible in my old life without years of gymnastics training.

Fighting monsters had given me enough confidence to trust my power and flexibility to try new things and risk moves that I would have though impossible. But fighting a near intelligence lacking monster was different that a man with years of martial arts experience under his belt.

I was unable to dodge the elbow that came back at me when I landed lightly behind Vale. The hit caught me in the ribs and I stifled a shout, keeping it to a low groan. Instinct nearly had me slashing at him with my claws, a swipe that would have torn the hide off his dumb face, but I clenched my fist instead and aimed for the collar bone. My hesitation cost me, however, and he dodged, scoring another jab at my arm this time. I grunted and stepped away. That one hurt!