The Great Forest of Elswell

Chapter 14: The Great Forest of Elswell

It was a very awkward breakfast the next morning. So much so that I took my meal as far away from Roran and the heroes as I could. The man just gave me the willies and I was too nervous that I would give away what I was if I spent too long near the heroes. So, I opted to munch on my toast and eggs at the other end of the long hall.

"No way!" I heard Markus shout out suddenly, making me nearly spill my fiervir all over myself. Worried I looked up and saw the massive male towering over the short but sturdy Dural over at the bar. "you guys have coffee!?"

Oh shit. I glared down at my plate and hoped everyone forgot I was here.

The dwarf blinked in confusion. "It is called Fiervir here, and mostly it is just the dwarves who enjoy it..." I could feel his eyes flick toward me. "But apparently demons have a similar beverage. Sin has also called this coffee."

"You could call it 'fuzzy bunny' and I wouldn't care." Laughed the big swordsmen. "Would you mind if I have some? I haven't had a coffee in over a month!"

I winced again. Please do not connect the dots. Ugh, of course he had to mention the length of time. How would I explain that me and the heroes arrived on Hearth on the same damn day?

"Help yer-self, Sir Markus."

"Excellent. You are officially my favorite dwarf, Dural."

Dural merely chuckled and fished out a mug for Markus. "What about you Lady Kassidy?"

"Yes, please. That would be great thanks." Sighed the girl. She looked like she wasn't much of a morning person.

"You take it the demon way too?" Asked Zach, ever curious.

"What is the demon way?" Asked Kassidy, looking a little worried.

"Gods can only guess..." Huffed Roran who scrunched his nose distastefully at the black brew.

"With milk and sugar!" Said Sandra happily as she entered the common room looking fresh as a daisy. "Some for me too please, Dural." She turned her lavender head back to the heroes. "I hated the stuff before Sin showed me how she drank it, and now I rather like it."

"Where we come from," Said Markus, that one sentence immediately drawing all their attention. No doubt any story about earth was super fascinating to these people. "It is the most widely consumed crop on the planet. Nearly everyone drinks it in some form or another."

"Is it true that our world is like what your people write about in children's picture books?" Asked Zack, his fork full of egg hovering above his plate, forgotten. Clearly, he was just as curious about earth as he was about the demon realm.

Markus nodded. "Mostly like what people call manga books. I guess they are a kind of picture book, but they are not always meant for kids. I was never a fantasy fan myself. This place is a real head spin for me. I mean, Monsters?" He laughed. "All of it is crazy. Hell, I just saw a damn dragon with a demon on its back yesterday. A month ago, I was a high school gym teacher." He shook his head in bewilderment.

"What is a high school? Or a gym? Why does it need to be taught?"

"You ask a lot of questions for so early in the morning." Groaned Kassidy. "And I absolutely want my -fiervir? - the demon way."

"Black for me thanks." Said Markus before turning back to Zach. "A high school is a place where young adults go to learn math and science and the like. Gym class is a course taught in the school. It is where I taught teenagers about different sports and fitness."