This is for my Kingdom

Chapter 19: This is for my Kingdom

"Look..." This time it was Kassidy who spoke. From her it was a breath of wonder.

Her voice broke the moment; Vale and I looked away from one another, trying to see what it was that had caught the woman's attention now. It was the ground. Just as fast as the vines had fled grass was appearing out of nowhere, starting at Kassidy's feet and spreading out in a flash from there. Not just gras but an ever-expanding field of flowers flowing over the barren brown earth like it was always meant to be there.

"You did it! You did it!" Sang the fairy, dancing on the breeze around our heads. "The fairy fields are back! And soon my kinsmen will return, and I will not be alone anymore. Oh, thank you! Thank you so much!"

I smiled as I watched her dance about, even flitting around Vendaval who looked like he may just eat Luetta if she landed on his head once more. Kassidy gazed down at the staff in wonder. Its aesthetic really didn't match her either but it felt like a good fit, so I was sure that was all that mattered. Markus thumped Roran on the back, and it looked like the man nearly fell over from the force.

"Well, that was an adventure."

I turned from the others and saw Vale watching them celebrate with a rare smile. It was strange to see but not unpleasant. It made me smile too. "Not bad for my first dungeon raid if I do say so myself." I said, watching the group with affection. Even the damn priest's awkward, stubbornness was growing on me a bit, though I doubted we would ever be friends. He was an ass, but an ass with a deep love and protectiveness for his kingdom and people. It was just a shame that he couldn't count the few demons in Larasta among them.

"Are we done now Mistress?" Asked Vendaval. I almost laughed at the look he shot at Luetta.

"I think so." I turned back to Vale. "Is that it? Are we done? I'm starving."

Vale chuckled. "Yes, we are done. We should get some food in us, have Kassidy finish mending you up, and then head home. We have plenty of time, so we don't need to rush. I'd rather we all be at out best before making our way back through the dungeon. Just because we beat the spider doesn't mean the other monsters will let us alone."

"Yeah, good idea." I sighed, rubbing my ribs. They weren't broken anymore but they still hurt quite badly.

"Did you just agree with me?" Chuckled Vale. "Maybe you got hit over the head harder than we thought."

"Oh, hardy-har-har, aren't you the comedian?"

We ate a fast, and cold meal. One, Luetta put up a stink when it was suggested that we light a fire, but also, we didn't want to hang around. The Fairy Fields was, indeed, beautiful, but we were all anxious to be home and out of this dungeon. So, we ate fast and said our farewells to the diminutive fairy before starting our significantly nice trudge back through the fields toward the forest.

Kassidy offered to heal me up, but honestly, I was nearly there and my naturally fast healing as a demon was making quick work of what little hurts I still had. It was better for her to save the mana she had in case we came across another difficult enemy. Markus seemed to be in high spirits as we walked, loudly providing a play by play of the battle over and over. So much so that even Roran got tired of hearing it and walked a little ahead of the group.

I was worried about him being up front. I didn't like the guy much, but I didn't want him to get attacked either, and walking at the head of the group was a good way to get oneself killed. He made sure not to get too far ahead, and it was a wide open field, so Vale didn't seem to mind too much. We would see any monsters coming for a way out. Besides, this was a place avoided by the monsters for ages and so I was sure nothing would come investigate this way for a while.