CHAPTER 2: A MISSION OF CHARITY

The first thing we do is set the sun and the moon into proper orbit so that they create a proper cycle for day and night, a matter that takes a considerable amount of time. Father has to stay behind to make sure they stay that way, but I'm allowed to leave and explore the land below. I walk among the people who have replicated at an exceeding pace. Everywhere I go they bow low, making me feel like royalty.

I watch Descarta's people cultivate the land under her guidance while Uradhi blesses their works, yielding a bountiful crop. They work hard to gather up as much of the harvest as they can since they don't want to waste any of it. The demi-goddess catches sight of me and gives me a broad smile as she waves. I return the gesture.

She approaches me with hurried steps and makes a bouquet sprout in the crook of her arm. "Aren't they lovely?" she asks as she displays the flowers. "They're some of my finest."

I take a deep whiff, but find the odor is unremarkable. "They smell lovely," I lie and do my best to enjoy what I do not.

"Thank you!" Uradhi bursts forth and drops the flowers as she gives me a big squeeze.

I'm feeling uncomfortable, but push my ill feelings aside and find that her attentions are making me feel good.

"You're a good friend," the demigoddess says and gives me an extra squeeze.

"Uradhi! Uradhi what are you doing?!" Descarta calls out and looks slightly annoyed.

"Coming mother," she calls back and puts me to arm's length. "I have to go, but I'll hopefully see you later." She hurries away and waves to me while I wave back.

I turn my steps away and head down the coastline where Cleus' people live, but all I see are men, there's not a single woman in sight. I make my way toward the nearest group of men who are busy diving for fresh aquatic plants. I take note of one who has just returned from the depths and is dripping wet and carrying an arm load of vegetation he cultivated from beneath the waves.

I place a hand on his shoulder. "Excuse me," I entreat as I try to be only as intrusive as necessary.

He falls to his knees and drops his prize. "Great goddess Lunas, purveyor of dark light," he addresses me before lowering his body to the sand.

"Yes, yes, yes," I say, dismissing the gesture. "Where are all the women at?"

He rises to his knees. "Great goddess, our goddess, the great Cleus, queen of the seas," he stumbles over himself trying to offer adequate praise. "Took them away to an island, where they now live."

"You mean they can't come to the land?" I endeavor to understand and drape an arm across my chest.

"No, great goddess, we are forbidden from seeing them," he informs me with a look of horror upon his face. "Upon pain of death."

"Then how do you procreate?" I inquire as my mind wrestles with the idea.

"Great goddess, a handful of us are chosen and given the great honor of visiting the isle," he educates me and brings his hands together just beneath his head.

"Where are they," I query and rest my elbow on my arm. "I would like to talk to them."

"Great goddess," he addresses me as a shadow falls across his face. "Those chosen, never come back."

"Why are you distracting my servant," a voice demands.

I turn and take note of my grandmother Cleus with her eyes upon me.

He falls prostrate. "Great Goddess, queen of the seas" he declares with a trembling voice and a body shaking from fear. "I meant no ill will. Please, be merciful."