CHAPTER 5: PARENTAGE REVEALED

The days pass without incident and it isn't long before we are all called to a meeting. I fly to the palace and find the twins, Claesus and Anset, huddled in a corner speaking in hushed tones. I make my way over to them and sit in their company where we enjoy mindless prattling even as her brother tries to steer the conversation toward macabre subjects.

Cleus steps forward, marking the beginning of the meeting and all sounds cease. She places a jar on the table. "I have an announcement," she booms for all to hear. "A new creation of my own design and what's more..." She removes the cover. "Completely female."

In the container is a strange creature and I step forward to get a better look. It's a little girl with long, bright hair and a fish tail. It swims about in the constricting environment using what little freedom it possesses to try and break the boundary in futile fashion. It's a fascinating spectacle that has everyone speechless.

"She is a true companion," Cleus carries on and taps the glass, annoying the lone occupant. "One who can follow me wherever I go."

Creus steps forward. "Except on land," he scrutinizes as he points out the fish tail.

"What?" Cleus shoots back and turns to face the speaker.

"Anywhere except on land given her lack of legs," Creus clarifies and twists his chin. "And the sky, now that I think of it."

Cleus is crestfallen, her great achievement has been reduced to nothing.

I decide to cheer her up. "Are there more?" I ask and advance to her side.

Cleus' face suddenly brightens. "Loads more," she declares and throws an arm around my shoulder. "They just keep laying eggs without the assistance of a male. A purely female species."

An applause erupts from all gathered with Creus being noticeably without mirth.

"Come with me child," Cleus speaks directly to me and practically scoops me off the floor. "You'll be the first to see my creations swimming in the ocean, near my islands." She grabs up her jar and flies me off to our destination.

We soon land upon the shore and my grandmother opens the jar, pouring its content into the water. The little fish girl splashes about and is soon joined by a myriad of her kind, all splashing about. They look as though they are having fun with the innocence that can only belong to creatures who have only just been born.

"Great goddess Cleus," a woman addresses her superior as she approaches with bowed body. "All is prepared."

"Good, I shall be there momentarily," the water goddess speaks to the woman who hurries off before focusing on me. "Stay here dear. I shall only be a moment and you won't want to miss what comes next."

"Thank you grandmother," I respond with a bow of my head and watch her walk away.

I return to the mermaids who are gathering closer to the shore. I sit down upon the ground and allow my feet to dip into the water as I reach out and stroke their hair and scales. They start to pull at my body. It would seem they'd like me to join in the fun they're having and I have no reason to refuse.

I'm just about to jump inside when a strange liquid begins pouring out of a hole in the nearby rock. The aquatic creatures swim with intense energy and fight each other to drink up every drop. I have a sickening feeling I know what is pouring into the ocean and it isn't helped when red chunks flow from the hole.

The mermaids' fury intensifies and they display sharp claws and teeth which they employ against each other as well as the morsels pouring upon them. I'm still in the midst of wondering over the strange contents when a man's head pops out entirely dispelling all other probable solutions.

The Observations Of LunasOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara