CHAPTER 4: DEATH COMES TO OUR WORLD

My father flies like a bolt of lightning to my side. "Daughter," he addresses me while adopting a serious look. "We must hurry, to our celestial bodies, now."

"Why, whatever is wrong?" I inquire as fear creeps upon my person.

"I haven't time to explain just please, fly to the moon," Heliot commands me and intensifies his gaze.

I waste no more time and, putting my trust in my father, fly to the moon. I wait patiently as he brings the sun close, nearly touching my celestial orb. I'm still confused by the sense of urgency until I look off into the distance and see a dark planet rocketing through space, threatening to collide with our own.

"Listen to me daughter," my father calls across the recess with an amplified voice. "Concentrate your power into a single, devastating beam and aim it directly in the middle of the planet. I will do the same and together we will destroy the threat."

"I can do that?" I ask, genuinely curious while looking at my hands that seemingly possess a deadly power I never even dreamed of.

"Yes daughter," he replies, a little flustered given the severity of the situation. "Now please, focus your beam, we haven't much time."

I ask no more questions. Summoning the power I didn't know I had, I channel the energies of the moon and focus them into a single blast. Together, my father and I launch the attack at the same time. The beams strike the planet and we intensity our energies. They go right through, annihilating the speeding projectile.

We stop blasting and are about to celebrate, when we notice the planetoid disintegrate into millions of tiny particles. We try to destroy it further, but find our power has no further effect. The dust forms a dark cloud which bypasses us and surrounds the planet. We head down to the surface, but we're not prepared for what we find.

Thousands of people, nearly half of the overall population, have been infected by a terrible affliction and it's spreading. They start dying off in only minutes of showing symptoms. I try to help but all I can really do is comfort them in their last moments. Those that die are the lucky ones. Those that live carry on deformed and pock marked, living with excruciating pain.

My heart breaks in more pieces than I care to count and my tears will not stop flowing. I look to my father and he holds me close. There is nothing we can do, these people are all going to die. It's at this moment that I wish I could share in their pain, but my immunity will not allow it. It protects my body, but not my heart.

"What can we do?" I barely utter as I pour my feelings out.

Father gives me a squeeze. "We must do the only thing we can," he informs me and looks off into the distance. "We must consult the other gods."

I nod and catch sight of a strange character that resembles a demi-god wearing bright red and sporting white skin. He moves like lightning and strikes down the diseased as they writhe. I give chase, but I'm simply not fast enough to keep up with the figure who disappears and reappears faster than I'm able to perceive the movement I take action.

I'm frustrated to say the least, but my father intervenes. "Let's go," he commands and gives me a pat.

We both take flight and alight upon the palace where we find the other gods landing as well. We all look to Creus who is already sitting on his throne with a strange god hovering near to him, holding himself near to my grandfather's ear. His cover is black and his skin is a sickly green. In front of them both, leaning against an arm rest, is a demigod with a dark grey covering and white skin.

"Fellow gods and goddesses," Creus announces for all to hear and stands from his seat. "Allow me to introduce our brother Atris and his daughter Claesus."