ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ: ɴᴇᴡ sᴜᴍᴍᴇʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʙᴏᴅʏ

Pʟᴀʏ ===> Fɪɴɪsʜ Lɪɴᴇ ===> Dᴀʏᴇ Jᴀᴄᴋ

It was a warm Summer night in Freeridge. The nights were usually like this on our side. Parties live with sweaty bodies, drugs, liquor and memories of things that some would forget in the morning. The pinnacle of what we dreamed to do, the highschool experience we were dying to have. A night we'd remember for the rest of our lives. Which leads to now.

Hi, I'm Sherri. A lot of my friends just call me Cherry however. And well, I'll tell you a bit about me.

I'm from Indianapolis, I moved to Freeridge in the 6th grade.

I have three siblings. Tremaine, the oldest, is making out with some random girl in the corner of the party.

Naija, his twin, is sharing a bong with a few people from the 'ridge's cheer squad.

And lastly, Nai'jae is at home.

My parents are divorced, my mother owns a small business that is pretty successful, and my father still lives in Indiana. That's all that matters for now.

I stood perched on a wooden milk crate lining a grey brick wall with my friends Monse, Ruby, and Jamal as we all kept an eye out for our dear friend, Cesar. "Do you see him? I don't see him." Monse inquires, searching the crowd for Cesar as Jamal starts to panic, "Something bad is happening, I can feel it. I knew this was a dumb idea." Jamal exclaimed in quiet panic as to not be spotted, "He should be back by now." I said in agreeance with Jamal, looking around as Ruby consoled Jamal's frantic thoughts, "Pop a Xanny, J. We can't see him 'cause he's being stealth." I rolled my eyes at that chuckling a little as Monse spoke, "No doubt. He's got this. When has Cesar ever disappointed?" Jamal turned his head up in thought before, responding to Monse's question, "Hmm. Fourth grade. Kickball Tourney. We lost." as he finished, Cesar appeared.

"Only 'cause I picked the kid with no skills. And I'd pick you again." he throws Jamal, and I a beer. Jamal struggles to catch the beer in his grasp as Cesar gives Ruby and Monse a beer each. I open mine as he spoke again, "Loyalty trumps victory, compa." After he says this he steps up onto the crate with us, sighing as he does so, "Ah. Take it in. This is about to be us, this is highschool."

We all take a drink in unison, scrunching our faces at the taste of the alcohol, groaning just a little, "Ruby, you think your brother's gonna marry Angelica?" Monse wonders, I scoffed in amusement, "If he doesn't, that'd be real fuckin' surprising." I chimed in, watching the couple in question eat each other's faces, "No idea. Mario tells me jack."

Jamal chuckles, "What about that time he said Angelica has a dangler?" Both Ruby, and I looked at him funny, "Dude, really?" I said, still side eyeing him, "But he said that." He looked between me and Ruby, "In private! Time and place dude!" We all looked back to the party.

"Oh, guys, check out Huerita at nine o'clock." We were all looking at the girl Ruby was talking about, "Monse, Sherri if you were girls-," Monse and I cut him off in unison, not even turning to make eye contact with him, "We are girls." He continued, "Yeah, but if you both were girls like that, would you wear underwear?" Monse looked to him before rolling her eyes as I reached around Monse to smack him upside his head, "Ow! Hey!" I looked at him fixing my glasses, "Don't be a creep, Rubes."

Suddenly, Jamal began to spiral, "Oh, my God, I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die." Monse looked at him, "Why are you gonna die?" I looked at him too as he explained, pointing to a group of Football players,"Those guys play for the 'Ridge. Did you know that last year alone over a quorum of kids-," He was slightly cut off as the three of us spoke in unison, "Died playing football?" I look at him, and as I try to calm him down, Monse speaks, "You're stuck on repeat. So don't play!" I nodded at him, as he looked between us and the party, he declines, "No choice. My Pops was a legend. It's family tradition."