ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ: ᴛᴀx ᴛɪᴍᴇ!

ᴘʟᴀʏ===> Nᴇᴡ Pᴇʀsᴏɴ, Sᴀᴍᴇ Oʟᴅ Mɪsᴛᴀᴋᴇs===> Tᴀᴍᴇ Iᴍᴘᴀʟᴀ

We sit in the same room with Monse running the questions like a faucet. She stands arms crossed against her chest as we all try to get her to stop pestering us about Cesar. Telling her he wasn't cool anymore wasn't enough though.

"We're not getting into it. Trust us Cesar's not cool." Ruby said that in hopes of her giving up, but alas she continued on, "Well, I'm not cool being not cool. And why aren't you at Football," I chuckled a little at this, as Monse looked over to me with slightly furrowed brows, "And you, at Cheer?" The essence of my small laughter went away as I awkwardly closed the book, placing it on the extra mattress in the bedroom, avoiding the question she had as Jamal changed the topic, "We should really get to orientation before those lines get too long." Ruby and I nod in agreement, a hum emitting from me as I stood up, "Yeah, I don't wanna be too sweaty for my I.D." I picked up my book walking towards Jamal and Ruby, "I wanna change my clothes beforehand, though. I don't wanna look bougie, just well dressed, you know?" as I said this Ruby agreed, "Good idea. Like Mario said, 'It's all about the right first impression.'" "And sticking together. You're totally deflecting this whole Cesar sitch. So, stop being bitches and tell me!"

Moments later we were on our way to orientation. Walking down the streets of Freeridge usually brought a bit of relaxation to me, the sound of birds chirping and cars driving past, the sun beaming down onto those walking the sidewalk, trees whistling softly as breezes passed them by, only, Monse hadn't stopped asking us about Cesar. No relaxation for me. "WHAT. HAPPENED. WITH. CESAR? This silent treatment will only last so long, I will break you! Come on. There's no way Cesar did anything on purpose to destroy our crew. He's the glue of our crew." Monse continued to defend Cesar's honour. Breathing a sigh, I spoke, "Well, he did, so could you just stop asking?! For fuck's sake Monse, he fucked up royally, can't you just live and let die?!" The boys agreed, "That was then and this is now." Jamal exclaimed softly, "Yeah, Cesar ain't shit." Ruby agreed. As we took a left rounding a corner, a few prophets were marking territory, Ruby and Jamal were quick to ditch their colors and so was I, making sure I had nothing on that would cause trouble.

A plane flew over head as Ruby was trying to see if his hair had been messed up, "Damn it. Did I just Jack my 'do?" He asked. I shrugged and continued walking as he pulled out his phone, checking his camera. "Code dread. Code dread. Approaching on your six." We all knew who that meant. Jasmine Flores. Super high energy, not to mention really really really obsessed with Ruby. With stiff shoulders and an awkward tension growing between the four of us we walk ahead preparing for what's to come, "Yo! You guys going to orientation? Hey, you know my cousin Berto, the fine one? Hey~, His daughter Letty said it ain't nothin', unless you're stupid, and you can't spell your name, and then you hold up the line and people get- supes mad; hey, why are you guys walking so fast? You know I can't keep up, I have asthma!" I sighed feeling a bit bad and deciding I would tell her bluntly why we acted this way towards her, "Look, Jasmine, we-,"
"Sorry, Jasmine, we're having a private convo real sensitive stuff! Catch you next time." Monse had cut me off so, I lightly kicked her ankle causing her to stumble a little. Even so we continued walking, trying our best to get away from Jasmine. And before we knew it we were running away from her. Lungs burning from exertion, I try to catch my own breath running down the sidewalk with Jamal in front of me, I almost fall over as I try to catch my breath after a while we come to a stop. Heaving, I stop walking, "Oh- gah- fuck... Why is she always doing that?! Why the hell can't we just politely ask her to leave us alone?" I said but no heard me as they went about starting a new conversation.

"Man, she is relentless, nice save." Looking up Jamal had chuckled in relief as I stood up straight once more to walk with the group, I walked along not particularly invested in the conversation. In my own headspace just walking with no thoughts in mind until Ruby exclaimed in anger,
"Jamal! Do you need a muzzle?! Monse, no offense, but you're a loose cannon. And we're not telling you for your own protection." Monse scoffed at this, her anger almost seeping out of her skin as she spoke," My own protection? Eat a dick." I crossed my arms watching it go down, the two bickering annoyed me, and when Ruby stopped defending his own case we came across some poor soul being jumped into 19th Street, Jamal then grabbed both my arm and Monse's pressuring us to walk and not to look, and after coming to pass it Jamal asked the question no one would,  "Why would anyone want to get jumped into 19th Street? If it were me, I'd join 1st Street, only one second of pain." I nodded but stayed silent, too focused on how close I'd been to Jamal deep rooted in warm feelings but genuine discomfort, it has been hot outside. The sweat and body heat had come to bother me, and as much as I'd enjoyed being so close to him I wanted to be close when we both weren't covered in bodily fluids. I quickly pull myself from Jamal as Monse once again was talking, "-Lack of commitment seems to be a noticeable trend in this friendship; as is lack of personal space!" She shoves both Jamal and Ruby away from her turning to see a car cruising down the street: It's Cesar and Oscar. The music playing could be heard down the block as the car came in our general direction. I finally found the time to speak up, "Monse, please, just don't." Ruby added on to what I said, "We can't tell you what Cesar said." No matter our warnings she didn't listen to us, she basically threw herself in front of the car.

After the car fiasco we were all walking down the road, Monse still shocked, asking questions, "When did Oscar get out?"
"Six weeks ago." Ruby throws his hoodie over her shoulders.
"Now it makes sense. Whatever Cesar said, he said it to impress Oscar. Cesar's terrified of his brother."
Jamal joins in, "Along with everyone else."
"Then who cares what he said."
"Oh, just drop it."
Looking at our surroundings I realized we were in Prophet$ territory, so I decided to try and get their attention.
"We aren't supposed to be around here."
"Do I look like I can just drop it?"
"Actually, you do. You just won't."

Seemingly, out of no where, Latrelle popped out with his bullshit,"TAX TIME BITCHES! HANDS UP MONEY OUT!" I rolled my eyes and sucked my teeth at him, "Why are you always on bullshit, man?" Ruby looked at me with a glare before looking back to Latrelle with hands raised, "How can we take our money out with our hands up?" I glared back at Ruby after his smart remark. "I know you book-heads got that back to school guap." Monse with squinted eyes spoke up, calling Latrelle out on a technicality, soon after Ruby covered her mouth I grabbed my wallet and gave Latrelle 15 dollars, "For the bridge toll, you damn troll get the fuck-," Jamal then looked at me and shook his head. I sucked my teeth once more before shutting up, "Can we go now?" I stared intently at Latrelle after asking but he then looked at Jamal; Jamal being himself had blurted, "What about that 20?"

Ruby then gave up the money. This day was getting progressively worse as it went on. "At least you finally got your own room." Jamal stated awkwardly. Ruby nodded with a smile and we all went about on our merry ways.