PROLOGUE

Letter To: MR. Roger Kennedy

Letter From: Anonymous Subject

Dear Principal Kennedy,

My name is Rylan Winchester and I am a student here at Northvale High. I'm writing this letter because I am afraid to come and talk to you out loud about this topic. There are so many walls with ears these days and I don't know who I can trust anymore. I'm hoping I can trust you. You are our principal, so you should want what is best for your students.

I recently moved to New Jersey a few months back so you probably don't know me as well as you might other students. When I came to Northvale, I was just entering the ninth grade; my first year of high school. It was an exciting move for me. It still mostly is. However, I am regrettably not writing this letter to tell you how great Northvale High is.

One of my teachers, whom I won't name here in this letter except to refer to him as "the X," has been hurting students. I'm speaking on their behalf because they are either too afraid or too stubborn to speak out themselves. While I'm not totally fearless, someone has to do something and I guess that's me.

I've experienced the X's abuse first hand, so this complaint is as much mine as it is any other's. The X is a bad teacher. Not only that, but he's a bad person as well and I don't understand why no one does anything to stop him. I know others have witnessed his actions. I've done some digging and I know that the X is a member of the teacher's union. I also know this means the X is protected under certain statutes and therefore it will be difficult to get rid of the X. But you are the principal. There must be something you can do.

Please, for the sake of your students, help me help you help them. You'd be removing a bad teacher and your students would be safe from any further harm. To talk with me further on this subject, please do not hesitate to contact me outside school grounds.

P.S. If you send a return letter, please have it sent to Anonymous Subject.

Sincerely, Rylan Winchester

--------

Letter To: Anonymous Subject

Letter From: MR. Roger Kennedy

Dear Miss Winchester,

I am sorry to hear all you have had to endure and I offer my sympathy to you and the other students. Unfortunately there isn't much I can do for you or your fellow students. Evidence on cases like this takes time to put together, but I promise you that I only have the interests of my students at heart. Thank you for notifying me of this issue and I will contact you if I have any further questions.

Sincerely, Principal Kennedy