Chapter 3: Northvale's House of Horrors

There's something about Northvale High that makes you want to jump off a really tall building. Rylan feels it almost immediately. Not only is she experiencing a completely different culture from the west part of the United States, but she is experiencing a completely different school system. Rylan glances around at the crazy mix of students. People are clustered everywhere and the first bell will ring in about ten minutes, allowing her five minutes to find her first class wherever it is.

She can't help thinking of all the possible ways she can get lost. In a school this size, there are plenty. Then there is the small matter of Liam, Tyler, and Blake. Just the thought of them makes her stomach roil. The first two don't worry Rylan as much as Blake does, but if she has to come across any of their paths, she hopes it's individually so at the very least she won't be outnumbered.

Rylan surveys the crowds for Dani, Cas, and Tuck, but they are nowhere in sight. Dani said she'd meet her before the bell, so where is she? Rylan waits another minute, then takes a deep breath and decides to check inside the school. She walks through the large imposing doors and skirts around the clusters of other students who don't seem to mind anyone bumping into them or pushing past them.

So this is to be the first day of school. Another few minutes and still no sign of Dani or Cas or Tuck for that matter. Rylan wonders if perhaps she'd made them up. When the bell rings, Rylan jumps and gives one more half hearted glance around the hallway before scouring the halls for her first period classroom.

First period goes as normal as it could have. Rylan doesn't recognize any of the other students and she takes an instant dislike to the teacher which dampens her excitement considerably. Mrs. Wright is not at all how her name describes her; in fact, she is quite the opposite and consistently gets most of her facts wrong. Rylan notices that none of the class bothers to take notes or really pay attention because they'll have to read the correct information from the book later anyway. She considers saying something to Mrs. Wright, but she doesn't want any teachers hating her from the get-go. This is supposed to be a new start.

Rylan escapes out in the hallway as fast as she can after the bell rings. She's already upset that she hasn't seen Dani yet and first period hasn't done much to alleviate her sullen mood. Rylan wishes she could run home and get away from all the hustle and bustle. She searches the corridors for the Geometry room, but there are too many students who keep shoving her and bumping into her on their way to their classes.

Rylan sighs heavily and determines that it's better to just wait and let most of the students clear out. She presses close to the wall next to some lockers and glances around impatiently, hoping she's close to the geometry room. The hall slowly starts to clear up and Rylan spots some familiar orange hair. The head turns and his eyes glimpse across her.

Tyler.

It takes him a second to realize he recognizes the girl he is staring at.

Rylan's eyes widen when she spies Blake and Liam behind him. Tyler spins to alert Blake and Liam of her presence on the other side of the hall. Rylan turns to escape the opposite direction she'd been trying to travel. At first she lets the flow of the other students carry her down the hallway, but when she throws a desperate glance back and sees the three tailing not too far behind, she begins to push past everyone in her path. Rylan ducked into the next open door she comes across, her heart pounding.

"Ah, Miss Winchester?"

She starts at hearing her name and stares wide-eyed at the voice that spoke it. He raises an eyebrow. Rylan glances down at her schedule.

"Mr. Wilcox?" She asks.

"That's the name." He purses his lips. "I'm so glad you could join us. Please, have a seat." He gestures to the rest of the open room.