Chapter 6: I Want You

Because of the end of school rush, Rylan arrives late for detention. She enters Mr. Quinn's classroom, an uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach. Dani sits at her regular spot, furiously scribbling in a notebook. Mr. Quinn barely looks up and glares beneath his eyebrows.

"I thought I told you not to be late."

Rylan shrugs her shoulders helplessly, a good excuse failing to enter her thoughts.

"We're really not starting out the school year on a good note, are we?" He says sourly. "Well, sit down."

When Rylan lowers herself into her seat she notices Dani's scribbling is just that: scribbles. She's furiously pretending to do work. Dani ignores Rylan which is probably for the best considering this is supposed to be a punishment and any talking might get them into more trouble. Rylan copies Dani's example and focuses on getting through the detention period. But it is difficult for her to focus since Mr. Quinn's glare never leaves her face.

She stares at the same sentence of the Aeneid she started on five minutes ago. What did he have against her to make him despise her so much?

Rylan hasn't gotten anything done by the time the one hour detention ends. Dani scurries out of the room, leaving Rylan behind. She wonders if it's because Mr. Quinn said something to her before she arrived. Rylan follows her, not wanting to be in this room any longer than she has to, but Mr. Quinn grasps her wrist, stopping her. Rylan's heart beats fast and she tenses although his grip isn't as tight as before.

His expression is calm when Rylan faces him. "Let's try to avoid any fights in the future, shall we Ms. Winchester?"

Rylan can't help thinking he must be bipolar. Either that or he's a crazy bastard. "Yes."

"Sir." He states matter of fact, inadvertently squeezing her wrist tighter.

"Yes, Sir." Rylan amends haughtily.

--------------

Rylan stares down the hall in dismay, her hand resting lightly on her open locker door as she pauses from the act of gathering her books. The corridor is empty, but she can easily guess what's waiting for her on the other side of the double doors at the end of it. Rylan can even see faint shadows crossing in the light shining beneath the doors.

Blake.

Now that detention is over, he'll want to have that "talk." Rylan can't seem to figure him out. He is rude and mean, sure, but is he really as dangerous as everyone paints him to be? His threats could fill a book, but Rylan has yet to see him actually do anything violent aside from grasping Dani's shirt. Was this when she would finally find out his true nature--what makes him so terrifying?

High school. It's supposed to be exciting and fun. That's what Rylan had been hoping for when she moved here, but Mr. Quinn and Blake are slowly making her regret agreeing to move. Rylan taps her foot on the floor nervously, glancing around for an idea--anything to pop out of thin air and get her out of this situation. She could probably handle Blake, for a short time, as long as he didn't have his goons with him. That is unlikely though.

Why did Dani have to leave her all alone? Where did she go? Rylan understood her need to escape the gaze of Mr. Quinn, but Dani had been the one constantly standing up for her since the beginning and now, to just leave her when she could use a friend the most...

Rylan sighs in exasperation and slams her locker shut. She spins around and a hand gently skims her shoulder. Rylan squeals in fright.

"Woah. Shhh. Keep it down. He'll hear us." Dani says as she tries to calm Rylan's nerves.