Chapter 15: All Good things must End

There once lived a girl.

She believed life was beautiful.

Then this girl experienced the ugly side of life.

Now she only has eyes for the ugly.

Rylan hates that her life equates to a loss of innocence. She understands that you can't be happy all the time, but she's tired of brief happy moments spattered amongst the bad.

Sometimes good things fall apart so something better can fall together....

The phrase keeps repeating over and over again inside Rylan's head. She wants desperately to believe it and she can't stop it replaying over and over in her mind. Methodically she clenches and unclenches her right fist, trying to convince herself this is reality. Each time she clenches her fingers tightly into her palm, her nails dig deep and leave marks.

Rylan continues her stroll down the hallway towards her locker.

Sometimes good things fall apart so something better can fall together....

"Stop." She hisses under her breath, hoping the sound of her voice will prevent the phrase from repeating.

It doesn't.

Sometimes good things fall apart so something better can fall together....

The words only increase her bad mood. Rylan yanks open her locker door angrily. Everything good continues to fall apart. She had really believed the principal would help her. Rylan stuffs two textbooks in her locker and glances at the return letter lying in her locker. It took him nearly a week to respond. She found it in her locker this morning and she had been so hopeful. The words are scribbled and messy, but legible.

Dear Miss Winchester,

I am sorry to hear all you have had to endure and I offer my sympathy to you and the other students. Unfortunately there isn't much I can do for you or your fellow students. Evidence on cases like this takes time to put together. But I promise you that I only have the interests of my students at heart. Thank you for notifying me of this issue and I will contact you if I have any further questions.

Sincerely Principal Kennedy

Rylan shakes her head and frowns. She crumples the paper in her fist and throws it even further into the depths of her locker. Principal Kennedy might as well have said, "It's too difficult. I'm not even going to try."

"Rylan?" A voice calls from behind her.

"Yes, good things are falling apart, but when are they going to get better?!" Rylan snaps as she turns to confront the speaker.

She covers her mouth with her hand when she realizes what has come out of her mouth.

"Uh..." Cas breathes and scratches the back of his neck awkwardly. "I was just going to ask if you need a ride."

"Sorry. I'm a little...." Rylan searches for the correct term. "...annoyed lately."

"Is this about the letter?" Cas wonders.

Rylan sighs heavily. "Yes. It just bothers me so much that he won't do a thing to help!"

"So he's a little misguided. Who at this school isn't?" Cas disputes.

"That's the point! No one here cares that Mr. Quinn is dangerous. He makes everyone around him miserable; me most of all! I'm too young to have to deal with something like this by myself. Why am I the only one who seems to care?!" Rylan snaps.

"Woah. Calm down. I was only trying to play devil's advocate." Cas holds his arms up defensively. "And you are not the only one who cares." He assures her.