2| EDWIN LEWIS

Rushed breaths passed Edwin Lewis's sealed lips. The adrenaline rush he had experienced prior having just died down .

...almost died .

This sentence made his heart rate sky rocket ,almost to that of an anxiety attack. Whizzing by like a runnaway train through his calmn reverie.

He held in his panic before his pregnant sister could sense he wasn't his calmn self . Samkelo Lewis was 8 months pregnant and trying to hold in her bladder ;the N12 traffic wasnt doing her any favours.

"Just pee in the redbull can ...uyazi kuthi usix o'clock and home is like 3hours away righ- " .

He was cut off by the death glare Samy gave him from the passenger seat .

His evening prior to picking her up from the baby shower at Sandton City Convention center proved to be hard to forget.

He had to forget how cold  Nkululeko felt in his hands. She didnt deserve to die like that..Mrs Princeton was just a bitc-...

"Ed what's up...you ok, even the baby can feel it his kicking like crazy ."
.

"Yh ...im good . How was Bokanyo and and ...who's the blond one called again "

He tried diverting her psycho analysis elsewhere but ...she did get her degree just last year . She obviosly still remembered her psychosis on troubled teens so, "Its Jasmine and Bokanyo is fantastic but i know when a young adult is brushing me off and building a wall between me and the problem ."

Damn she was good.

  No wonder she now headed the psych department at Clearview hospital . On her first year as a certified psychiatrist .

"Spill it ...no withdrawal syptoms now..".

She tried relaxing in the backseat she set in. My BmW X5  though big was slightly small for her curvy and pregnant body to manuver but as a professional session was about to comense she didn't show her discomfort .

"Ok...Nkululeko was found dead . Right outside the schools office building last term .  I heard it from Ben just as I was picking you up...he _".

I lied about how i found out….but i couldnt tell her that she'd kill me.

I ignored her unsurprised expression from the rear view mirror by flowing with traffic . After our 3 hour traffic-jam we were on our way home. The estate gates stood menacingly up ahead  near the roundabout.

I decided to wait near the side of the gates...parking the car on the perfectly cut grass outside its prestine perimiter.

I turned just in time to see my sister had just peed her pants ...well dress.

"Dont look at me like youre surprised".

I ignored her angry and slightly annoyed and not at all , embarrased glare she shot me through the rearview mirror.

But when her face turned soft ;i knew she was headed a very dark turn; one I was not prepared to take .

"Don't look at me...I did nothing to her. We fought but I'm in active therapy. I stopped the drugs ..."

Sammy 's eyebrows turned inward . A frown settled on her face ,she didnt believe me not after mom was called to school about my agressive behaviour ...that's why I was at home now and not at the boarding school .
Or even interested in basketball like I used to be.

"You don't believe me ...You CAN'T EVEN HIDE IT !!!. You are my sister and therapist have you not seen my progress !! ".

I couldn't look at her anymore. After she had so brazenly accussed me -me... Edwin Lewis of .. ..Murder .

Edwin Lewis started the car and  ignored his sisters accussatory eyes . Focusing on the road and punching the pin to the estate on the tiny lock pad by the estate gates. He waved a weak hand to the security person' s by the gate box and drove into the intimidating estate . Well to someone who hasn't lived here for 10 years of their life ; it would be
intimidating...though to him now it was just dull.

After his dad married his schools  deputy principal . His life at Sir Johns Private Boarding School turned sour... A)His dad' s marriage was unanounced after his mothers abrupt death, B) SHE JUST HAD BEEN CREAMATED IN MAY and 6 days later his father says he's engaged , C) The worst part not being A or B
;D) He was gay and he married Ed's deputy principal ...Mr Khoza .

I still couldn't believe it...no matter how many times I repeat it .

Edwin never looked at his hero the same way again. He began a rebel streak...not texting his dad or two older sister's  , who had no issue with the proposal.
He even broke up with Nkululeko Nguyen _his girlfriend . He took drugs ,started hanging out with Bengamin Ntebula(Well-known Bad boy and panty dropper) . He became uncontrollable ,the last straw being when he almost beat his ex to a pulp during a heated argument over her new lover ...whom Ed knew was a womeniser.

Edwin Lewis was lost way _way below the rabbit hole.

And his family had no interest in saving him not after he abused his ex .

That's was his siblings told him . His dad though never gave up .. even when Ed started his old homophobic rant.

But maybe after his trial with the SGB he could start afresh next term. He sure missed that Zulu girl with the weird name. She was social butterfly and  completely ignored Brittany's crew messing up her fun.
I can't believe she handed it to me and became head prefect while I lost my spot to Benjamin . Imagine the influence he'd have on the student body and …hers .

It's only been 3 months  since school started...Nd here are am throwing Brittany under the bus.

He needed to stop this rebel shit …if not for Zulu girl but for himself . He still wanted to be a nurse and he needed to be at school come term 2..next to zulu girl .

She was a good influence on him.

He finally fell asleep in his room .His sister was at her apartment also in the estate .The argument died down after he refused to fight with her taking into account her condition…she was high risk and he had to float on egg shells not walk cause she was a emotional wreck .AND he need not do her more wreckage by upsetting her with murders he _feared_ he _knew _something about.

Atleast if she blew up and had the baby he'd be close since his dad and Mr khoza were in Bali.

**********

00:00 , Thursday, April ,10th

Zulu girl: Heyyyy Ed...I'm in the woods. At a party...where u at nigrrr"🍷💃🏽💃🏽.

Ed: Heyy Noku ...I'm home and asleep. Byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyye!

Edwin Lewis has logged out

All rights reserved _copyright © S.N.M.Khati 2023