004.

ON THIS SPRING DAY
━━━━━ chapter four

━━━━━ VIOLET STOPPED ARTEMIS outside the goddess's silver tent. The daughter of Eros frowned as Percy stormed past the two, not so much as offering them a second glance. That didn't seem like him, Percy seemed like a decently friendly guy.

               "Do not fret, Violet," Artemis said. "The boy only feels as if he lost Bianca despite putting so much on the line for her."

               Violet swallowed. "We did put so much on the line for her and Nico. We lost Annabeth for them."

               "Do not blame the di Angelos." The goddess's expression was pained. "Annabeth was a brave maiden. She was protecting her friends."

               "Is," Violet corrected. "Not 'was'. She didn't die."

               "How are you so sure, young one?" Artemis asked. Her eyes pierced through Violate, and the demigod got the feeling she knew something about her that even Violate didn't know.

               "I just am. I just know Annabeth is alive," Violet admitted lamely. She sounded crazy. She sounded like she just didn't want to admit the truth to herself.

               Artemis nodded solemnly. "Trust your gut. It is a powerful skill to possess."

               "And you're serious?" Violet asked, changing the topic suddenly. Her voice sounded more frantic than she meant to sound. "You'll find Annabeth?"

               Artemis's silver eyes locked on Violet. "I will do everything to find such a brave maiden," she vowed.

               The daughter of Eros stuffed her hands inside the pockets of her jacket. That should've been the end of the conversation but she still had more questions for the goddess.

               "Can I ask another question?" she said.

               "Of course," said Artemis. "And I will answer to the best of my ability."

               "Why ask me?" said Violet. "Why ask me to join your hunt?"

               The Goddess of the Hunt sighed, as if reminiscing over something. "It's such a shame your mother denied my request. You are much like her, you know."

               Violet's eyes widened. "You asked Mom to join the Hunt? You've met my mom? How?"

               "There are mortals that attract the attention of the gods easily. They are eye-catching, like a piece of artwork or a shiny diamond," said Artemis. "And your mother is one of them. She caught my eye for her spirit, and she caught your father's attention for her beauty. She's ... Dahlia has the spirit of a Hunter; she's strong-willed and capable; however, like you and your father, she is in love with love. She would struggle to swear off romantic love with men."

               Violet cringed at the topic. Artemis seemed to notice her discomfort, and she smiled.

               "But that is all in the past," said the goddess. "I may not agree with Dahlia and her opinions concerning men, but she got one of the greatest gifts from their relationship."

               "What? Me?" Violate said, her voice taking on a humorous tone. "She always said I was the best thing to come from him."

               "Yes. A daughter with just as much a Hunter's spirit as her mother."