009.

ON THIS SPRING DAY
━━━━━ chapter nine

━━━━━ THE SIX WERE crossing the Potomac when they spotted the helicopter. It was a sleek black military model just like the one seen at Westover Hall. And it was coming straight towards them.

Violet peered nervously out of the van's window. "They know this van. We have to ditch it."

Zoë swerved into the fast lane. The helicopter was gaining.

"Maybe the military will shoot it down," Grover said hopefully.

"The military probably thinks it's one of theirs," Percy said. "How can the General use mortals, anyway?"

"Mercenaries," Zoë said bitterly. "It is distasteful, but many mortals will fight for any cause as long as they are paid."

"But don't these mortals see who they're working for?" he asked. "Don't they notice all the monsters around them?"

Violet shook her head. "We have no idea how much they see through the Mist, and there is no telling what they do see," she said. "And chances are they don't care, even if they know the truth."

"Sometimes mortals can be more horrible than monsters," said Zoë, her eyes hard as she watched the road.

The helicopter kept coming, making a lot better time than the van was through D.C. traffic. Violet couldn't help but think how convenient it would be for Camp Half-Blood to have their own airplane. Someone knew how to fly one, and someone had to know how to build one.

Thalia closed her eyes and prayed hard. "Hey, Dad. A lightning bolt would be nice about now. Please?"

But the sky stayed grey and snowy. No sign of a helpful thunderstorm. Violet tried not to curse the Lord of the Skys in her mind.

"There!" Bianca said, leaning forward in her seat to point out the windshield. "That parking lot!"

"We'll be trapped," Zoë said.

"Trust me," Bianca insisted.

Zoë shot across two lanes of traffic and into a mall parking lot on the south bank of the river. They left the van and followed Bianca down some steps.

"Subway entrance," Bianca said. "Let's go south. Alexandria."

"Anything," Thalia agreed.

They all bought tickets and got through the turnstiles, looking behind them for any signs of pursuit. Bianca lagged behind as Violet tried to help the lieutenant of the Hunters fumble her way through the turnstiles.

"This is ridiculous," Zoë hissed, slamming the ticket down. "There is a much simpler way to design this! Did a man design this?"

Bianca looked panicked. She kept looking past the metal gates, looking for any signs of the General and the skeleton warriors. "Zoë, it's simple. Here"

Before she could try and help, Violet ripped the ticket out of Zoë's hand and shoved the paper inside the slot of the turnstile. The bars blocking the Hunter's path loosened and Violet pushed her through.

"There," she said, handing the ticket over. "Now, come on!"

Zoë gave her a haughty look, hurrying ahead. Violet rolled her eyes at the way the lieutenant didn't even bother to give any thanks. Bianca nudged the daughter of Eros's shoulder, sending her a grateful smile.