014.

ON THIS SPRING DAY
━━━━━ chapter fourteen

━━━━━ PERCY DIDN'T KNOW what kind of welcoming to expect, but he certainly didn't expect to be welcomed at his own fucking funeral.

               People surrounded him, making his vision swim. This was more people than he had seen for daysall smiling, red eyes, and looking shocked. Beckendorf stood a little taller than the rest and happily said, "Percy!" before clopping the son of Poseidon on the back hard. He heard a few curses from the Ares Cabin, but Clarisse just rolled her eyes, like she couldn't believe Percy had the nerve to survive. Chiron cantered over and everyone made way for him.

               "Well," he sighed with obvious relief. "I don't believe I've ever been happier to see a camper return. But you must tell me"

               "Where have you been?" Annabeth pushed a few campers aside, hugging Percy so tightly he thought his ribs might crack. Her expression was relieved, but just by the tiniest bit as if something was still bothering her. "We thought you were dead, Seaweed Brain!"

               "I'm sorry," he apologized. "I got lost."

               She gave him a look of disbelief, and for a moment turned back to the podium placed in the middle, next to two burial shrouds. AJ Mortimer, a blond guy who looked like a long-lost son of Apollo ( though unclaimed ) raised his eyebrows with arms crossed.

               "Lost?!" Annabeth shrieked as she turned back to Percy. "Two weeks, Percy? Where in the"

               "Annabeth," Chiron interrupted. "Perhaps we should discuss this somewhere more private, shall we? The rest of you, back to your normal activities!"

               Without waiting for anyone to protest, he picked up Annabeth and Percy as easily as if they were kittens, slung them both onto his back, and galloped back towards the burial shrouds, which were still burning.

               "Aubrey" AJ winced as if he hated the name"do you mind joining us?"

               "Uh," he glanced at Annabeth, "I guess not."

               On their way toward the Big House, Percy couldn't help himself but ask, "So ... the burial shrouds, who's was the second one? The one next to mine?"

               Both AJ and Annabeth gave him hard looks, and that was the only thing Percy had ever seen them do together. "What?" the looks made him ask.

               "Did you not see the design?" Annabeth asked, eyes puffy.

               "No, it was burning."

               "It was for Violet," AJ snapped. "She's been missing for two weeks too, Jackson. I know you wouldn't have noticed while you were gone, but honestly"

               "Aubrey," said Chiron carefully. "We will discuss at the Big Housein private."

               And before any of them could counter, he galloped off towards the Big House.

🌷

Percy didn't tell the full truth. He just couldn't bring himself to talk about Calypso or Ogygia. He kept it as vague as possible, explaining how he had caused the explosion at Mount St. Helens and got blasted out of the volcano ( he noticed the way Annabeth mouthed Violet, which only made Percy feel even worse ). He said he'd been marooned on an island ( and didn't fail to notice the resentful glance AJ sent Annabeth's way ), then that Hephaestus had found Percy, and told him he could leave. And that a magic raft carried him back to Camp.