Michael Aiden - Challenge One

User: IrishHumanoid

"You're naturally an insane child," I thought over my early years, those of innocence. My father was a stable parent, one that cherished every quirk I grew to possess. Back when being 'unique' was a trait that you actually made an effort to have. Mob mentality was always scorned in my household, up until you matured.

That was probably the most lackluster advice I could've ever had.

Look where it landed me; manically depressed, practically bipolar, and working in what felt like a cemetery. Classes ceased to begin at a steady pace. I guessed there was some amount excuse, being now two of the student body were deceased. Slit throat?

My lord, talk about overkill.

I was continually going over those I couldn't trust, mostly which were my fellow coworkers. I have always felt some level of sympathy for the children, who, in reality were nearly adults.

Chuckling quietly, I realised that would probably be my early demise. Getting too close to one of these buggers, only to be discovered, a bloody mess, the next morning. Taking my bass in hand, I propped myself up in my airy room.

I might as well go through a couple rifts to pass the hours, which were in an unsteady hibernation. My section of the hulking school was deafeningly silent,the large halls almost breathing with anticipation. I hate this place with a burning passion, I swear.

It was just too old, it felt haunted by the previous attendees. Those that have perished within the same walls. "Mr. Aiden...?" A young voice echoed through the doorway, questioning of my very presence. A student had found their way down here. Jumping from my chair, I stared attentively at the corner I knew the door was planted unevenly behind.

"Come on in!" I struggled to sound cheerful. Soon enough, a well built, short haired blonde girl entered with a sullen look upon her elegant face. "What might you need, dear?" I questioned, leaning against the corner of my desk, offering a pleasant smile to ease her anxious expression. Swallowing again, she refrained the previously disturbed gaze.

It morphed into a rebellious, detached one. She casually laid back in a free chair, letting her feet skim the ridge of my desk. Looking for trouble, I see. Producing a small huff, I sat my large, boot dressed feet on my workspace. The studs scratched the wooden surface, though I didn't really react. I only gave a small huff, and gave the 'lost' student a toothy, more relaxed grin. It was tough to find yourself in trouble in my class.

"I just wanted some quiet.." She spoke, for what felt like the first time. Raising an eyebrow, I continued the conversation.

"Shouldn't you be in class?" I interrogated her, my questioning look inducing an answer quickly.

"Yeah," She said blankly, shifting to a more comfortable position. Hell, at least she was honest. My classes wouldn't begin until later in the day, if at all.

"I'll let you stay, just don't be caught," I winked, going to my boom box, and popping in a CD blindly. The Misfits began to play, causing the student to jump in her seat.

"You like them-?" I asked, curious to her reaction.

"I love them!" She exclaimed, giddy with a manner of excitement I only recognized in elementary school students.

"Name?"

"Joules...the name is Joules." Interesting, it felt as if I was talking to someone my age. Just another old soul for music, I guess.

We sat there for the full album, until she found the need to wander from my space. Alone once again. Sighing, I continued with my instrument. My love for this thing is too strong, but it was all the more sentimental to my childhood. The memorable parts, at least. Disgusted with my sudden change in attitude, I went for the pills. That hellish medicine. Shaking the mislabeled bottle, there was an absence of the reassuring sporadic thuds in return. Was I out that quickly?

I groaned, beginning a walk into the halls. Looking unhappily at the spread about niches of students, I quickened my pace. My upbeat attitude wasn't natural, unfortunately. It usually required copious amounts of caffeine, and usually prescribed medication that lulled me into a favorable personality that people actually enjoyed. I'm truly a mess.

The time had continued to pass, and I realized that if I wanted momentarily relief I'd have to hurry. Finally having found the office, I shambled in to find a rather distraught Arabella staring into a void of nothingness. My sudden presence snapped her from the odd trance, and she returned her attention to me.

"What might you need, Michael?" Shoot, she sounded partially snapped as well.

"I need to leave campus, for like twenty minutes," I mumbled, Arabella's eyes dissecting my true motives.

"You need to make higher officials aware of your temporary absence then," She recited, in near verbatim of the textbook guidelines.

"I need you to do so," My pleads went unanswered.

"I can't-"

"Yes, you can." I hastily gave the indirect command, and bolted at the door.

Something gives me a feeling she won't do what I had begged of her. Something tells me I'll be getting an unwelcome visit from the principal when I return.

Dang.

The walk was longer than I had estimated as well, in an immediately shadier part of town. Seriously, my clothing actually helped me fit on this occasion. A male's grip locked onto my shoulder, tugging me to the ground.

"Wanna hit, buddy?" He laughed manically, digging an unidentifiable needle into my arm. Oh, God. My vision blurred as the contraband has long since been flushed from my system, from the early years, was reintroduced in a flash.

My body fell haphazardly on the wall, shivering like jello. This wasn't as enjoyable as I remembered...