[4] Monster

Weeks had gone by and I had seen Abigail every single day. We were so wrapped up in one another that nothing else mattered by that point. We spoke for hours upon hours, sitting in restaurants, cemeteries and even on her front porch. We talked about our families, our hopes and our goals. Of course, 99% of mine were fake and made up to a point.

While I did hope and dream of having a wife and a family, I knew that I could never actually pursue those things. I was stuck in my young form forever, or at least until the end of days - whenever that would be. I told her about how I dreamed about being a different father than my father was to me and my siblings.

I told her about his abuse towards Niklaus and even defended Niklaus in telling her that, that's why he's deeply wounded and "dark." While her human innocence thought of "dark" as being quiet and broody, she really had no idea how "dark" Klaus really was. She would never understand the horror of his monstrous side. At least, that's what I hoped for.

That was my real hope, my real dream. That she would never face evil or atrocity - such as in the form of a vicious vampire of werewolf. I would spend my sleepless evenings writing in my journals stories of a young girl that was completely set free from the evil of the world. She was wholesome, pure and would never come across anyone or anything that would ever change that about her.

What I learned to love the most about Abigail was her laugh. Her laugh was infectious and the best sound that I had ever heard in my centuries of life. The way that she would crinkle her eyes and hold onto my forearm as she nearly barreled over in laughter. She was so beautiful. So human.

For many years I had forgotten what it was like to laugh, what it was like to not have a care in the world. To sit and not see the world in a dim light but instead of the bright light of wonder. The ability to accept that not everything or everyone can be fixed and that sometimes, things are just fine the way that they are.

The affect of Abigail was infectious in my entire life. I was excited for the first time in a long time and I was absolutely okay with it. I knew deep down that it wouldn't last forever, but whatever time that I had with her, I wanted it to mean something to the both of us. I wanted every second to be raw, romantic and intoxicating. I wanted to give her what she gave to me - I wanted to give her life.

I wanted to give her a reason to wake up in the morning, a reason to fall asleep at night with a smile on her face and a reason for all the time in between to be nothing but pure joy. I hoped that she thought of me as much as I thought of her. Because if she didn't, well, that would be embarrassing. I had always imagined myself as being charming and memorable, but the fact that Abigail had me considering otherwise just proved that I had actually completely fallen for this girl.

"Elijah," Rebekah spoke to me in the corner of the room, my eyes distracted by a drunken party in the floors below. Men and women flew around the room in a blurry vision of half-developed dance moves. They laughed, smoked and drank more and more, until their hearts nearly stopped beating in their chests.

"Yes, Rebekah?" I whispered in the darkness, turning to look over at her. She was leaning in the doorway, her arms straight across her chest. Her hair was let down as she stood in a nightgown - proof that she would be exiting to her room for the rest of the night after our brief conversation.