[18] Brother vs. Brother

The palm of my bloodied hand fought against thrashing skin as he struggled against me. I had a wooden stake pressed up against the center of his chest as he choked fighting words. Anger and rage tore through my body the way that waves soar through the ocean in the middle of a storm. Small hands were placed on my shoulders, tearing at my coat with long fingertips being buried into my skin.

"Elijah!" Rebekah shouted behind me, "You're not actually going to kill him!" Pain soared through my jaw as my monster teeth came to the surface. The demon inside of me was clawing it's way out and ripping through every still vein in my cold, dead body. "Come on Elijah," Niklaus taunted beneath my strong hands, "I dare you to try to kill me. See how far you get in rescuing your precious soulmate...."

I hissed at him, revealing my monster teeth. They wanted to tear into his neck, they wanted to reveal the jugular vein that pounded only inches beneath his skin. I bit back my teeth as I dug my fingernails into the skin of his collarbone, thrashing them down to the center of his chest. He yowled in pain as he quickly extended his hands against my chest, an attempt to push me away from him.

I fought back, the strength of my upper body nearly crippling his weakening arms. He surrendered silently as he removed his hands from my chest and fell back against the brick wall, coughing in pain as he wiped his hands across his shredded shirt. Blood rose to the surface, slowly dripping down to his exposed navel. He then shook his bloodied hands as he rubbed the tears from his chin.

"You have waged war against us brother...." I muttered between my monster teeth. They receded slowly, my inner demon unhappy that I hadn't used them. Again, the noble man had won. Niklaus spit out blood towards the cool concrete beneath him. He immaturely rolled his eyes as he refused to look up at me. Fighting with him was like fighting with a young child.

"What do you want from me, Elijah?" He asked as he finally made eye contact with me. "Do you want me to risk my own life for your princess?" I bit back fighting words as Rebekah released her hands from my back. I slid my bloody hands into the pockets of my coat as I sucked in a deep breath.

Niklaus would never understand what it was like to value another person's life over your own. His life would always be worth the most to him. "Come on, Elijah...." he laughed through bloodied teeth, "did you think that I would hand myself over to Mikael? Were you actually stupid enough to think that I would ever willingly come face-to-face with him again?"

"No, Niklaus!" I shouted, the veins in my neck bulging in anger, "But I did expect you to stand beside me as my brother and help me save her life. What a mistake I made in trusting you....you of all people, you're right Niklaus. What was I thinking? How could I be so foolish to actually trust my brother? A person bonded to me through blood?"

He sheepishly turned his head from me and towards Rebekah who now stood beside me, staring down at Niklaus in pity. "And what about you sister?" Niklaus asked as he beamed up at her with a quick shake of his head, "Are you willing to risk your life to say Abigail and her sister?" Rebekah sucked in her own breath of air as she considered his question.

I glared at Rebekah from the corner of my narrowed eyes, my lips pouting slightly. I dared her to answer his question in a way that did not please me. She promised in the beginning to help me fight for Abigail's life. Khaleesi wasn't apart of that promise, but Abigail, she was. Rebekah looked back at me, quickly glancing back away.

"Of course I am," she nodded, "I promised Elijah that I would. That's what family does, Niklaus." I smiled to myself in a sick happiness. Niklaus allowed a loud laugh to escape from him as he sat at our feet, shaking his finger up at us. "You two...." he laughed, "you have fun in your fight against Mikael. I'll be miles gone when he shoves the white oak ash stake into your hearts as you burst into flames."

Now I was the one rolling my eyes like a child. "Niklaus," I spoke softly, "you won't be able to enjoy your pathetic little life without torturing any of your siblings. If Rebekah and I are gone, who do you have to torture?" He smiled up at me, "Well," he whispered, "I suppose that I could wake Finn and Kol from their slumbers."

I thinned my lips as I remembered that we did in fact have two more brothers sleeping peacefully in their temporary homes. I looked over to Rebekah, hoping that she would offer any ideas on what we should do with Niklaus. She just looked back at me, shrugging to herself.

"Hm," I muttered as I slid my finger down my jawbone. I kneeled next to Niklaus and stared at him until it made him uneasy. He sat against the wall like a troubled child waiting for his parents to scold him. "Let's lock him up then...." I told Rebekah as I rose back to my feet.

"What?" Niklaus laughed, "You're not possibly serious." I nodded my head at Rebekah as I went searching for the chains that Niklaus kept in a safe place just in case we ever came across a brazen, lost wolf. "Oh, I'm entirely serious Niklaus...." I muttered with a quiet laugh as I poured the thick, heavy chains from their safe-keeping.

"So you're just going to leave me chained here while you go fight off Mikael?" He asked as he slowly rose to his feet. I held the heavy chains between my hands and rolled them up upon my arm as I inched towards Niklaus. I handed Rebekah one of the chains as I dropped the chains to the floor. "Rebekah," Niklaus laughed, "little sister, you don't want to do this to good ol' Nik."

"Oh yes," Rebekah laughed, "I do." Niklaus stuttered on his words as we placed the chains around his wrists and feet. "Elijah...." he muttered, "Rebekah...." Rebekah and I concentrated on our work as we checked and double checked each chain to make sure that he would not be able to escape.

"Now Niklaus...." I whispered as I kneeled at his feet, triple checking the chains, "let's hope that Mikael doesn't come looking for us here, because if he does....all he's going to find here is you....in chains....completely helpless." I smiled devilishly up at him, knowing the nerve that I had hit inside of him.

"Elijah, no...." he muttered, fear deep within his eyes, "Alright, fine. Let me free and I'll do whatever it is that you want me to do. You want me to help you find Abigail, fine just let me the hell out of here. Elijah, please...." He begged with me, his chest rising and falling heavily. I rose my left eyebrow and tilted my head towards Rebekah who smiled along with me.

"Eh," Rebekah whispered, "let the poor bastard free." I nodded my head as I again dropped to my knees to now release Niklaus from the chains. He breathed out a loud sigh of relief as he rested his head against the bricks behind him. "For a second there I thought that you really were going to leave me here...." he whispered with a smile.

I rose to my feet again and placed my hand on Niklaus's shoulder. "If you weren't going to help us, I was going to leave you here," I said simply as I stared into his distant eyes. "Niklaus," I whispered, "If you help me save her life, I promise you that one day, I will help you protect the life of someone that you love dearly. And my brother, while I know that you don't believe that day will ever come, it will."

Niklaus breathed slowly as he nodded his head. Niklaus had handed Abigail and Khaleesi over to Mikael without question and that wasn't something that I would easily forget, but if he helped me rescue them, that was something that I would easily remember. I placed my palm against his cheek, quiet as Rebekah stood behind us.

"Come on brother," I whispered, "help me save the girl of my dreams. As I promised, one day I'll help you save yours."

vote. comment. etc. 

A/N: So sorry that it took me so long to update this story! I've had a really pissy past two weeks but I'm back. Also, sorry if these last few chapters have been slow. I just don't want to rush the storyline and I'm really trying to build up the relationships between all of the characters. Hope you all enjoy and continue reading! We have some verrrryyyy exciting chapters coming up, I promise! Hint: The end is near. xx Sarah