[17] Wars of Our Family

A gnawing pain settled into the center of my chest, a heavy burning filling my throat and nostrils. I gritted my teeth together as I pushed my lips out. I breathed in carefully as I lied in the center of the alley, a dagger digging into the edges of my still heart. I pushed out a puff of the smoky air as I wrapped my bloodied hands around the sides of the dagger.

As I pulled lightly on the wooden edges, the pain soared throughout my chest and into the pit of my stomach. I could barely move my shoulders as I continued pulling at the dagger. The pain was terrible, some of the worst pain that I had endured in my entire life. But what hurt worse was that it was my father that had pushed the dagger into my chest.

He then had pushed my to the ashy ground, walking over me as he exited the alley. He had left me for dead, and he didn't care if I was dead. I dug my teeth into my bottom lip as the dagger was removed from my chest, bringing me immediate relief. I let out a large sigh as I tossed the dagger beside me as I lied still on the ground, staring up at the gray sky.

Fires continued to burn in New Orleans as it spread from building to building, moving from the Witches' Quarter and into neighboring suburbs. I could hear the howl of dogs in the distance as men arrived with buckets of water to control the fire, but the buckets weren't enough. The fire was out of control and growing to the outskirts of the city. The soft wind that had swept through in the night was carrying the flames into the city and the smoky air into the swamps and bayous.

I spread my arms out onto the dirt below me as I pressed my palms against the ground, pushing my sore and tired body up. Abigail. I had to get to her. I had to know that she was okay. Surely she was still with Niklaus. Surely he had kept her safe. I rose in the alley and staggered slightly along the hot brick walls on my left side.

The pain slowly stumbled away and anger quickly replaced it. There was a new burning in my chest, and it wasn't coming from the dagger. I clenched my jaw together as I watched the people of New Orleans scatter around the streets, pushing and pulling one another away from the flames. While others ran towards the flames, buckets of water on both hands as they threw the buckets towards the burning buildings.

I came to the edge of the alley and began moving along the dirt streets, my energy and strength thriving with each step. Our family home was nearby and I couldn't wait to get there to find if that's where Niklaus had taken Abigail. If they were all there, we could flee together. All five of us. We could choose a city and leave, leaving Mikael and his obsession with Abigail and Khaleesi behind. I'm sure Niklaus himself would approve of the idea.

If anyone hated Mikael it was Niklaus. He had resented Mikael his entire life and went against him in every way. The fascination that Mikael had with ending Niklaus' life frightened even Niklaus himself. He knew that Mikael would kill him in an instant if he was given the chance. But of course, I could never allow Mikael to kill Niklaus. Niklaus and I had gone through too much together to ever give up on one another so simply.

As soon as I saw our home, a sudden burst of energy filled me as my speed quickened and I pushed m body up against the door, swinging the door open with such force that the hinges creaked. I was expecting the four of them to be there behind the door waiting for me, but instead, silence welcomed me. Our home was pitch black, not a single light in sight. I tilted my head to one side as I looked up and down the entryway, listening closely.

I could hear a quiet breath being drawn nearby, but only one. Only one person was here. I pressed on into our home as I slid my palm against the walls to balance myself. As I came around one of the corners, the moonlight peaked into the window, lighting up our sitting room. In the center of the room lied Rebekah, she was sprawled out across the carpet beneath her, gripping onto the edges in pain.