Chapter 6: Neutral Zone Infraction

"What a sweetheart!" Nat exclaimed.

She watched as the small American Bulldog puppy chased a ball around on the floor of the apartment. Raf had made the trip alongside the Lightning and he brought Sugar with him to keep Nat company for the week. At first Nat was hesitant to accept, but once Sugar got comfortable and Nat got a chance to hold her, she was beginning to think she wouldn't be able to give the dog back.

Raf had come back from the kitchen with a bottle of water. Seeing him again reminded Nat just how tall her friend really was. Raf stood at a respectable 6 '1, putting him around the same height as several NFA players. Raf himself used to play football, but due to a knee injury he suffered his sophomore year of college, he was forced to retire from the sport. It was this injury that put him on the path of sports medicine and becoming an athletic trainer. He may not be able to play anymore, but at least he can still work for the NFA all the same.

He ran his hands over his black undercut, "So Nasty, how have you been liking the bay?"

"It's alright. I've only been here for 2 weeks but I can't complain." Nat hadn't had much time to explore the city considering her work schedule, but at the very least she had all the same luxuries she had enjoyed in Los Angeles. From the food, to the scenery, San Francisco was in many ways just like the home Nat had known for so much of her life.

Raf nodded in response to Nat's answer and then replied, "How have you been liking the Pioneers? Everybody treating you right?"

Nat bent over to pick up the puppy so she could stroke her while sitting on the couch. "Yeah, the team's pretty cool. Deon can be a little frustrating but I'm happy that I made at least one friend." Nat thought of Nick Bosa and how kind he had been to her the past few days.

He sacked my ex-boyfriend 3 different times. God I can't wait to rewatch those highlights.

Raf joined Nat in the living room and sat next to her and Sugar on the couch. He patted the puppy on her head a few times then said "I'm really glad you're liking everything. Those Pioneers, they're different let me tell you. I've only been with the Lightning for a short time, but I can already see they don't act like a team the way the Pioneers do. The Pioneers just have so many players that are constantly pushing themselves and everyone around them. Like Bosa, that man is terrifying" Raf gave a small shudder

Nat laughed at the idea that other people would be intimidated by Bosa. Sure, she was nervous when she first met him, but it had more to do with how she felt rather than how he looked or acted. Now that she was getting to know Nick, all she was able to see was what a soft teddy bear he really was under all those muscles. Under all those big, endless muscles he had all over his body. Focus Nat.

She decided to turn the conversation to her friend, "Your mom's still doing okay? You said she was getting better, right?"

Raf sighed, "Yeah she's doing better, but she's still nowhere near how she used to be. Every day she smiles at me and tells me not to worry, that she's still doing her best to fight, but I don't know sometimes." Raf's voice began to tremble, "I just want her to be okay."

Nat reached her hand to Raf's knee and gave her friend a reassuring smile, "Raf don't worry, this is your mom we're talking about here. That woman once wrestled for an LG TV in a Best Buy with a man twice her size on Black Friday. I wouldn't underestimate her."

Remembering this made Raf laugh and eased the tension on his face. Nat had a wide arsenal of stories she could whip out to comfort her longtime friend. She already had a different story prepared of the time Raf's mom got into it with a police officer who tried to ticket her for illegal parking. The women did not know fear and Nat trusted she would do everything she could to resist the illness.