Chapter 9: Intentional Grounding

"You're leaving already?" Nat asked Nick with concern.

Nick Bosa had already put on his boxer briefs and his shorts and was in the process of putting on his shoes. He looked back at Nat with a playful smile.

"Sorry, I didn't think you would want me to stay."

"Well I wouldn't mind it." Nat said softly.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" He threw back.

Nat crossed over to the bed and took a seat with her back turned towards him. Truth be told, she didn't expect this experience to change her mind on dating Nick, no matter how exhilarating it had been. But still, Nat was bothered by how quickly Nick seemed to move on. This was the guy who had driven to her apartment when he should've been fast asleep, getting ready for his game in a few days. Where had all that passion gone?

Nick seemed to notice the tension from Nat's silence as he stopped what he was doing after putting on his socks.

"Are you okay? I didn't hurt you did I?"

I'm not gonna give you the satisfaction. "I'm perfectly fine" she said, not fine.

Nick debated whether or not to accept her words but then added, "You're mad at me?"

At this Nat turned quickly but then decided to go back to playing it cool. She avoided his gorgeous brown eyes as she stared at the shoes in front of him.

"I'm not mad. Why would I be mad?"

Nick looked at her confused. "Uh you shouldn't be?"

"Then I'm not mad. And you don't have to worry about me being mad."

Nick sighed as he rubbed the back of his neck with one of the hands he had used to grip Nat so tightly to him moments ago.

"Nat, do you want me to stay?"

Nat stared up at his face but still avoided his eyes.

"I want you to do whatever you want to do."

"Nat I can stay if you want. It might be easier that way, I can go to sleep earlier."

"Are you staying because you want to or because you think I want you to?"

Nick's expression had equal amounts of frustration and fear written all over it. He sighed again and took a seat next to Nat, forcing her to meet his eyes.

"Nat, I want to stay. But I want to hear you say it. Come on, you were taking direction so well earlier..." He said teasingly.

Nat, however, was not amused. She looked into his eyes blankly as she coldly stated, "Nick why did you come here? To actually talk and spend the night? Or did you just come to fuck me?"

Nick shifted uncomfortably on the bed. His prolonged silence had already answered Nat's question, but he decided to confirm what she suspected.

"Nat I seriously couldn't stop thinking of you. And since you said you wouldn't go on a date with me, I figured you would... you know... help me get over you?"

Wrong answer Nicholas.

Nat stood up quickly and began to get dressed again. She silently threw on her shirt and slid her underwear and shorts back up. Once dressed, she pulled her hair into a messy bun and began to strip the soiled covers from her bed. Nick silently observed her until he had to get up from the bed.

"Nat... you good? Do you need any help?"

Nat shook her head as she flashed a sarcastic smile to her former lover. She took the bedsheets and walked them over to the in unit washer-dryer she had in her apartment. As she put in the sheets and added the detergent, Nick emerged from her room and followed her.