Chapter 30

Hi, love you guys, Can I please get 10+ votes please because I put so much into this chapter and I think that you guys will like and please just please comment as well, I want to know your thoughts!!!

Please hit that vote button so I know I still have active reader, pretty pleeeease 🥹

~~~~

She knocked raptly upon the chipped wooden door.

The community was one where you would just step into each other's without knocking, so she was unsure whether or not she would get a response.

Sweat creeped down her forehead.

The sun was blazing, she gripped tight onto her jar.

Her tired eyes traced the floor beneath her, the uneven cobblestones, the weeds growing between them.

The door creaked open with screech, the queue for Alayna. She forced a smile and looked up to see exactly who she wanted.

"Assalamu Alaikum Rabia Bi!" She exclaimed.

The frail woman was taken aback, never had she expected to see Alayna on her doorstep and especially with such ludicrously lively demeanour.

"Wa alaikum salaam. How did you remember me today?" She asked feigning anger.

"Rabia Bi, how could I ever forget you?" She proclaimed, leaning in for a hug and a kiss.

The old woman rigidly took her into an embrace.

With a tight smile, "Come inside. No one's here anyway."

Alayna graciously walked inside. Her eyes darted from each corner taking in the shabby home of her supposed Nani.

She was led to a room which had stools scattered around with a fairly large wooden table in the middle, manoeuvring through the space, she took a seat close to the door which had a clear path leading to the outside and was left alone as Rabia Bi told her to make herself at home while she made snacks.

She sat there, gulping her saliva, wiping her foreheads of the beads of sweat.

Is it right to do this?

Of course, she deserves you. Appearances are masks, remember Aleksei he told you he loved your mother yet he attempted to molest you.

What if she regrets it?

No one truly regrets, you know this better than anyone. You've been deceived by the supposedly guilty.

A tray was placed in front of her, crammed with treats and sweet delicacies.

Her hold on the container tightened, she knew this was wrong yet her mind always convinced her otherwise.

"How have you been?" She asked with a tight smile.

"Well, my daughter."

"That's good, are you happy?"

"Alhumdulillah for all the blessings He has gifted me with. Leave me, let's talk about you, how did you remember this old woman today?"

"How can I not remember you. You were the only one who tried to stop the nikah."

The old woman's eyes turned teary, "I'm sorry I wasn't able to. I really am."

Alayna sat staring at the woman, the wrinkles of distress, the eyes filled with sadness, the hoarse hands of never-ending labour.

"Here," she forwarded the jar to her, "I grew lemons, and made lemonade with it, especially for you."