Formatting Dialogue

DISCLAIMER: This, of course, is formatted for Wattpad. Normally, you would not put a space between paragraphs, and you would indent the first line of each paragraph.

CHANGING SPEAKERS

When the speaker changes, the paragraph breaks.

"I'm so mad at you," she whispered.

"I know," he said. "But it won't be forever."

She shook her head. "It will be too long, Mark."

He looked over at her. "You could come with me."

She laughed. "I don't think boot camp is one of those things you can bring a friend to."

"I'm not talking about boot camp. I'm talking about after," he said.

LONG SPEECHES AND PARAGRAPH BREAKS

If a character's speech is particularly long and requires a paragraph break, use a quotation mark at the beginning of each paragraph and only one ending quotation mark at the end of the last paragraph.

"Robert became a member of my family long before he married my youngest daughter." Clarence paused to dab his handkerchief at his eyes. "He loved and supported my little girl in times when a father's love just wasn't enough. He rescued her, cherished her, and restored our family during a time when we were lost and broken. He was an exceptional husband and father, and I will be forever in his debt for making our family complete.

"On behalf of my family, Robert's wife Elaine, and baby Emma, thank you all for your continued love, support, and prayers through this dark season. I believe that our sovereign God orchestrates everything in His perfect timing, and while I will never understand why my son left us so soon, your presence here today is evidence of the wonderful legacy he leaves behind. Thank you."

KEEP DIALOGUE AND ACTION OF THE SAME CHARACTER IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH

The #1 rule when writing fiction is: Don't confuse the reader. Cut down on confusion by keeping each character's dialogue and action together. Start a new paragraph when attention shifts to a different character.

"Please, Brandon," Marcus Garrett begged. "We're not going to tell anyone."

Brandon Stockport shook his head and pointed to the sign by the cash register. "Eighteen," he grumbled again. Brandon pushed his thick, black rimmed glasses up the bridge of his nose before leaning back over the skull he was etching on Marcus's shoulder.

Kara Robertson smirked from where she sat with her long legs crossed on a bar stool. "Geez, Brandon, for a tattoo artist you sure are a goodie two shoes. Journey's birthday is in, like, ten hours."

"I've got the most successful tattoo shop in town. I'm not jeopardizing it by putting ink on a kid," Brandon griped.

Journey Durant laughed. "You've got the only tattoo shop in town."

Brandon stuck up his middle finger and wiped some oozing ink and blood from Marcus's skin.

******************

**@browneyedgirl65 won this dedication for pointing out-very lovingly-how I broke my own dialogue tag rules at the end of this lesson. :) **