Point of View - First Person

Here is another topic brought to you by popular demand. Loads of people have messaged and commented asking me to discuss point of view (POV). So... here goes. We're going to do this in installments.

What is Point of View?

POV is the perspective from which a story is told.

First Person POV

The story is told from a personal perspective where the narrator is an "I" witness. First person POV is the most natural perspective to write because it is how we tell stories verbally. It is identified by the pronouns "I" and "we".

I went to the mall.

I loved the movie.

I caught a fish the size of a Volkswagen.

First person POV is most often narrated by the main character. Here's an example of some first person POV fiction:

I sat up on my elbows and peered at Dr. Grayson Woods over the bridge that the paper sheet formed between my knees. The long device in her hand looked more like a lightsaber than a medical instrument. My mouth was gaping so wide that I should have been at the dentist's office rather than the OB/GYN. "You're going to put that thing where?" I asked.

My doctor cocked her head to the side and raised an eyebrow. "It's a transvaginal ultrasound, Sloan. It will be a little uncomfortable, but this is the only way we can get a clear picture of your uterus at this stage and determine how far along you are."

I winced. "It looks like you're going to battle the Empire."

She wasn't amused.

PROS AND CONS OF FIRST PERSON POV

PROS: It is the most relatable and comfortable POV for a reader because it provides an intimate relationship with the narrator. The reader tends to bond with the narrator because they are privy to a detailed account of this one character's thoughts, emotions and experiences.

CONS: You are limited to showing scenes where the narrator is present and cannot include anything not witnessed by your narrator. This makes the battle of Show Vs. Tell that much harder. You are limited only to the narrator's thoughts and feelings unless other character's divulge these things to the narrator. It is absolutely imperative that your storyteller is a compelling character who can consistently engage the reader throughout the novel.

******************

LeighWStuart won this dedication for bald guys in big trucks. ;)