Don't Be Mysterious

In an effort to create suspense, tension, or interest we often confuse our readers by being vague about stuff that doesn't matter to the climax of the story.

PLEASE...

DO NOT BE MYSTERIOUS FOR THE SAKE OF BEING MYSTERIOUS.

Let me show you an example.

In the first edition of one of my published books, I have an entire section that has been removed from the second edition because I realized (unfortunately after publication) that I violated this rule and COMPLETELY FAILED AS AN AUTHOR in this one section.

The backstory is I have 2 characters who are tempted to start an extra-marital affair with each other. In a fit of insanity, I added this gawd-awful scene:

Maggie woke up early the next morning and dressed quietly so she didn't disturb Rick. Remarkably, the baby was still asleep as well. She put the baby monitor on Rick's nightstand and tip-toed out of the bedroom. In the kitchen, she scribbled a note for her husband.
Left early to get stuff ready for the party. I'll be home later. Love you. -Mag.
It was a fifteen minute drive across town to The Corner Diner. To her surprise, the parking lot was full. She pulled into a space and looked around for people who might recognize her. Her fingernail was bloody from nibbling on it by the time she decided to open her door. Her heart was pounding with so much excitement that she almost felt dizzy.
She slowly got out and slung her purse over her shoulder. As she turned toward the door, a hand grasped her arm and a deep, desperate voice whispered in her ear. "We can't do this here. Get in my truck."

Now, this story is actually about a guy who is planning a surprise marriage proposal for his girlfriend. But, do you see what I did? I tried to trick my reader into thinking my main character is having the affair! BOOO!!! HISS!!! Even my mother called me to ask, "What were you thinking?"

The moral of the story is: DO NOT BE MYSTERIOUS FOR THE SAKE OF BEING MYSTERIOUS. Do not use trickery to try and entice your reader. Your plot should be interesting enough on its own without resorting to desperate attempts to create suspense. Focus on your plot. Focus on your main climax. Don't be mysterious about what the Storm Troopers ate for breakfast when the climax is Darth Vader's line, "Luke, I am your father."

***************

DenmarkHarris got this dedication for writing a superb book of interviews for #TheWattys2015! And because he's just awesome.