16

It's my birthday!! Now I'm REALLY old haha, can you guess my age?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

I sighed as I got out of the shower. Grabbing my towel, I tossed it over my head, rubbing it against my wet hair. Dropping the towel, I leaned my palms on the counter, my eyes dragging over my tired reflection. After today's events, I felt worn down physically and emotionally, and the raven-haired teen in the mirror expressed that, as well. My eyes were slightly bloodshot, and they were rimmed in red. My skin was pale, its usual color drained from my face. Trailing down my skin, I took in all of the scars and marks. There wouldn't be any more sessions on the roof, so the fresh wounds on my shoulder would be the last added to the bunch. My eyes scanned down my abdomen and I turned slightly, gazing at my back. The demons had scratched and gouged my flesh, leaving behind dozens of small scars. However, they had healed over already. What I was more concerned with was how my skin draped over my bones.

I knew I hadn't been eating well over the last several months. It really began after dad died, but it was expected. We were grieving, so my lack of appetite was normal. However, maybe I had taken things a bit too far. At certain angles, my ribs could be seen, and while there was still a layer of flesh over them, it was a bit unnerving. My collarbones were a bit more prominent, as well. I sighed and grabbed my towel, turning away from my pathetic reflection. I dried my body and threw on some clean clothes.

When I exited the bathroom, Yukio was by the closet, pulling off his tie. He turned to me and assessed my appearance. It was the usual pajama bottoms and hoodie. His lips formed a thin line and he turned to pull off his jacket. "Rin, going forward, there won't be any more long sleeves. At least not while in the dorm." I started to argue with him, but he gave me a stern look. "I'll let it slide for tonight, but you have been hiding things from me. I'd like to at least be reassured that you aren't adding anymore... things to your arms." I sighed and he continued changing. "Shura and the other's went through the dorm while you were showering. There will be a few ground rules, understood?" He turned to me once he'd finished changing, wearing an outfit similar to mine, however his short sleeves were the only difference. "Cooking is off-limits for the time being, so don't worry about it. I'll figure out our meals. And the roof has been locked from the outside, so it's off-limits, too." I nodded, expecting as much. "And lastly, but most importantly, you won't be alone from now on. I don't want to take away your privacy, but you would hurt yourself whenever you were alone. I don't want to chance anything."

I sighed and nodded my head, once more. I knew this much would happen. I pushed myself out of the bedroom, deciding that I should eat something. I'd have to consume more calories than necessary if I wanted to gain some weight back. I trudged down the stairs and into the cafeteria, becoming surprised when I saw that my peers hadn't left yet. They were all sitting down at one of the tables, Shura standing at the end of it. When I entered, they all turned to me and I felt my cheeks redden. My eyes wandered to where Kuro sat on Izumo's shoulder. He sure took a liking toward her, maybe it's because she was training to become a Tamer.

His eyes met mine, and I saw the sadness inside. Guilt built inside me, putting pressure on my chest. He must've sensed my internal anguish because he hopped down and padded over to me. He jumped up, his claws gripping into my hoodie as he pulled himself upwards. I aided him, grabbing him under the armpit and holding him to my chest. "I'm sorry, I'm such an asshole. I shouldn't have said that to you." He didn't answer me, instead he purred, rubbing his face against my chin. The small vibrations soothed me and I took a deep breath. He nuzzled me for a few more moments before hopping onto my shoulder, his tails dangling around my neck and fluttering up to hit me in the face. He cackled as I blinked away the unexpected fur in my eye.